jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why husbands want space from their wives?

1. profile image47
    shilpatanavposted 7 years ago

Why husbands want space from their wives?

why every husband want space from their wives&why they r always ready to get in to other relationships?

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

That seems to be quite a blanket statement there -- there are plenty of husbands who don't want space and don't want to get into other relationships, as well as plenty of wives that do. At any rate, to the question:

I think that in a committed relationship, there is often one person who feels somehow entitled to their partner. They feel like they have the right to control what the other person does, or that they have the right to all of the time they want from that person. The one that is being controlled will often withdraw in an effort to keep from being suffocated and to be allowed to be their own person. Someone who tried to control has lost their respect for the other person as an individual, and I personally wouldn't blame anyone who tries to get away from them.

On the other hand, in some relationships, once both partners get to know each other better they realize that the other person isn't really who they thought they were, they don't like being around them very much, so they withdraw.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

As Wychic points out, that is a blanket statement that is not always true. 

But--in many relationships I have seen the woman become almost a mother figure, telling her husband what to do, what to wear, how to act.  I think in those instances, he may well want some space and take it instead of addressing the problem and telling his wife to stop mothering him.

4. krillco profile image94
    krillcoposted 7 years ago

Ditto...ALL relationships have two relative positions: high desire for autonomy, and high desire for intimacy. They are two sides of the same coin; we need both of these in our lives, but in relationship, we are higher desire than our partner for either one or the other.

Many issues develop because each partner begins to feel threatened and invalidated when their partner expresses their relative position. The autonomous person feels 'smothered' and the intimate person feels 'abandoned'. Either gender can hold either position. As a marriage counselor, I know this to be true, as at least 50% of couples I see, the woman is the high desire partner for 'more space'.

5. Aisha Maragarette profile image58
    Aisha Maragaretteposted 7 years ago

maybe their is problem and luck of communication, as wife we always make it sure that we have enough time with our husband , husband is like a part of your body you always have one action.

working