Do you believe that men can absent themselves from real life for their art more

1. Beata Stasak profile image83
    Beata Stasakposted 6 years ago

Do you believe that men can absent themselves from real life for their art more easily than women?

I always admired idealists, but later in life I realised that they are usually enabled by someone who holds the tether on their balloon, who pays the bills and sweep up after them. This role is usually to be given to their partners or house keepers who are predominantly women.

2. Larry Fields profile image79
    Larry Fieldsposted 6 years ago

Beata, you raise the economic angle, and that is important. What you did not say was that in principle, women are just as free to hire housekeepers. However because of gender-related wage discrimination and the glass ceiling, women are less able to afford housekeepers. However there's more to your question than that.

A typical man needs more 'cave time' than a typical women. And when there's a lot of stress, most men need even more cave time. That's certainly true for me.

Cave time can be spent drowning one's sorrows in a tankard of ale--or in a box of chocolates--or by vegging out in various other ways. Cave time can also be devoted to creative pursuits.

On the other hand, a typical woman has greater social needs than a typical man. And when there's a lot of stress, women are more apt to air the various issues with their women friends, whereas we men are more apt to clam up.

The upshot: Male geeks make more cave time to pursue their passions than female geeks.

I don't feel comfortable with the phrase "absent themselves from real life." To me, it's all real life. However if you're suggesting that men take their family and other responsibilites less seriously than than women do, this is my response.

Guilty as charged, Your Honor. I throw myself on the mercy of the court.

working