jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is it possible to be "in love' with the idea of being in love?

1. Colleen McCasland profile image51
    Colleen McCaslandposted 6 years ago

Is it possible to be "in love' with the idea of being in love?

More often than not I find myself falling in love with someone simply to "feel" I am loved.  Inherently, these relationships never work.

2. KMattox profile image59
    KMattoxposted 6 years ago

Yes, and some people are so in love with the idea, that they become obsessed with finding love and they look everywhere for it. This can be both unhealthful and depressing if they can't find love.

Some people find someone and latch on to them in hopes love will develop and find themselves being used. This can cause self esteem issues.

On the other hand, if you're actually in love and the love is given back to you then you have every reason to be in love with being in love.

But being in love with being in love is different than being in love with the idea of love. I hope that makes sense. smile

3. JEDIJESSICUH profile image82
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 6 years ago

I think it's entirely possible, yes. My sister does it a lot. When I first got married, because I'm the youngest sibling, she immediately got with someone and engaged without even really knowing him. She wanted so bad to have what I had. They broke up a few months later, but I know how she felt. I was always jealous of her having boyfriends in high school. I didn't want anyone in particular, I just wanted someone to love me.

4. Apostle Jack profile image61
    Apostle Jackposted 6 years ago

Yes,but that is when you are just playing around the edges of it. The real thing comes later for some.

5. truthfornow profile image83
    truthfornowposted 6 years ago

Yes, I think people like the idea of being in love and being loved and go around searching for that feeling.

6. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 6 years ago

I think it is possible to be in love with the very idea of being in love. In this situation, the partner is merely incidental. You are in love with the way you would like somone to make you feel about yourself. This is what the In-Love state truly is, in my opinion, loving the person your intended causes to emerge from within yourself.