jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

Does being in love allow one freedom or is it a form of entrapment?

1. moneyfairy profile image74
    moneyfairyposted 4 years ago

Does being in love allow one freedom or is it a form of entrapment?

I see people who seem to be in love but also seem to be trapped or stuck. What are your feelings? Look forward to hearing from you.

2. Author Cheryl profile image87
    Author Cherylposted 4 years ago

I don't find being in love being trapped.  Far from it.  I have a wonderful relationship with my husband.  I think people who feel trapped especially women are those living in some form of abuse.  For men I suppose they would feel trapped if they were not with the right person therefore causing them unhappiness.  Love should never cause pain, unhappiness or a feeling of entrapment and if it does then you need to get out of that relationship.

moneyfairyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

So very true!!! Glad you are happily in love!!! Also equally glad I am free and single!!!

3. BeliDee profile image60
    BeliDeeposted 4 years ago

It starts off as freedom, because at the start you think the object of your love is perfect. As the relationship starts to progress you start to find aspects of your other half that you don't like- then it becomes entrapment. When you start to negatively focus the love relationship turns into a hate relationship. You need to refocus on positive things about your partner. Or if you fail that find other reasons to be happy, that can make up for the lack. As long as you have something positive to four on you'll be fine. Then you can go back to being a happy loving relationship.

So happy I don't need to worry about that as I am free and happily single!!! Yahooie!!!

4. Tracy Lynn Conway profile image93
    Tracy Lynn Conwayposted 4 years ago

It really depends on the nature of the relationship. If the relationship is healthy, where each member is respected and the love is supportive and nurturing, then it is not stifling but rather uplifting. If the relationship is unhealthy, perhaps overshadowed by abuse, control and jealousy, then it can become a form of entrapment.

Correct you are!!!

5. jennshealthstore profile image90
    jennshealthstoreposted 4 years ago

I think that if you feel stuck in a relationship, then more than likely you are not in love. You may feel familiarly, care about the person, but a person you truly love will compliment you not make you feel bad. People often confuse the two, because they feel like they would not know how to go on without that person, but it is more of a security thing, a fear of loneliness. People often stay in this type of relationship because they think they are in love.

So very true!!!

6. lburmaster profile image85
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

For me? It seems like more freedom. I still have my me time, which I love so dearly. There is a better chance for me to enjoy life with my husband. He calms me down so I don't go into overdrive and break. The only entrapment are my bills, his are almost non-existant.

Yeah for you except for the bills part!!!!

7. rainpurplewine profile image82
    rainpurplewineposted 4 years ago

If it feels like a form of entrapment,then it's best you not be with the person. With the right person there should be a level freedom. That's the beauty of being in love,it makes you feel limitless.

Correct!!!!

8. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

It's always freedom.
    If it is "entrapment" then it's entrapment by (choice). Clearly all relationships are "at will". No one is (stuck) with anyone. Couples breakup and get divorced everyday. Each of us is (free) to choose our own friends, lovers, and spouse. Most people are either where they (want) to be or believe it's in their "best interest" at a particular time. When someone feels entrapment it's a sign that they feel "powerless" about their circumstances which sometimes erodes self-esteem.
    The beautiful thing about a door is it lets those who want in (in) and those who want out (out). Anyone who is unhappy in a relationship and chooses to stay is (choosing) to be unhappy.
    Sometimes it's a matter of changing one's mindset. Work that you (choose) to do should NOT be lumped in with work required to sustain life. Entering into a relationship, getting married, raising children, planting a garden, buying a fixer upper house, or taking care of a pet are all examples of (work) that we (choose) and therefore should be viewed as a "labor of love". After all  we (wanted) these things. They were not (required) for us to live. The mature and responsible thing to do is to nurture whatever you (choose) to have in your life. Entrapment is a state of mind.

Spot on!!! Very true. so why some people choose to stay in unhappy relationships is beyond me.... craziness!!!

working