jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do you do if your mother inlaw wants to move in with you?

1. abbott55 profile image59
    abbott55posted 6 years ago

What do you do if your mother inlaw wants to move in with you?

2. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Run Forrest Run!   Seriously, I don't think having a relative live with you is a good idea--even some of the best family relationships can be stressed under those circumstances. I think I would have my partner talk to his/her mother and tell them it is not possible  at this time.

3. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

tell her NO. that's what i would tell mine but i can't stand her . i seriously wouldn't want my in-laws or my parents living with me.

4. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 6 years ago

It depends on the situation -- but all of my family on both sides also understands that it's NOT an open-ended ticket. If you need a couch to crash on for a couple of days while making other arrangements, you're welcome in our home. No one is going to move in permanently...we have our immediate family unit, and keeping it running smoothly is the priority in our home. My cousin has stayed with us for as much as two weeks before, but he made sure to only come back to sleep, cleaned up after himself, brought in his own food, and went to great lengths to be unobtrusive. That said, if mother-in-law had health issues that required supervision -- I'd gladly help her find a house or apartment nearby where we could check on her.

working