jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Should an ex remain an ex? Or can exes stay friends?

1. JenJen0703 profile image83
    JenJen0703posted 6 years ago

Should an ex remain an ex?  Or can exes stay friends?

2. HarryMcG profile image73
    HarryMcGposted 6 years ago

This is not a yes or no type question. It really depends in the circumstances. For instance how long was the relationship? How deep was the relationship? Why did it break up? Was it jealousy issues? If so then I think being friends would be difficult. You don't have to be friends but you can still care for your ex, there is no rule on that. There are many success stories out there where exes have become great friends but there's just as many horror stories too. It really does depend on the situation and all the variables that go into it.

3. Loco Life profile image76
    Loco Lifeposted 6 years ago

I'm very blessed to say that my ex husband is one of my best friends. We grew up together, became high school sweethearts, and then married after graduation. It sounds enchanting in writing, but I know it played a huge factor in our separation. We didn't fight or argue, but we literally ran out of things to talk about, and became more of best friends after a while. Don't get me wrong, we still have our moments where we sometimes become ill with the other, but we both know it's only because we still care.

So my vote is yes, I think exes can stay friends if they both wish too.

4. Erin Boggs1 profile image76
    Erin Boggs1posted 6 years ago

If you want to be able to move on and find a relationship that works, you cannot let your ex in the position to throw a wrench in the new relationship. Your new mate will definitely be jealous over the ex that continues to hang around and the new... read more

5. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

It depends on the people invovled and the situation.
    Sometimes an ex wants more than friendship but is willing to "settle" for it with the hope of one day starting over again. Beware of the "instant friendship"

Generally speaking it's rare to go from being "red hot lovers" to plantonic friends overnight. What usually happens is there is a gap of time where there is little if any contact and one day you bump into one another after you have both moved on. There is some polite conversation and "gradually" a friendship develops.

You don't want to become to emotionally invested in a friendship with an ex because things can change dramatically once one or both of you become involved with other people. If a person is "uncomfortable" with her or his mate being "friends" with their ex it's not uncommon for the ex to create some distance in order to maintain their happy relationship/marriage. Love trumps friendship most of the time!

6. oopsydoopsygirl profile image59
    oopsydoopsygirlposted 6 years ago

If you have children together, it's important for exes to remain friends at least cordial to one another. 

If no kids are involved, I think it's best to have a clean, but pleasant split without maintaining communication. It's way too complex to have a relationship with an ex when you're dating someone new. It's not fair to either person in the relationship.