jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What does it mean when your ex wants to remain friends?My ex wanted us to be bes

1. afrykanqwin profile image77
    afrykanqwinposted 7 years ago

What does it mean when your ex wants to remain friends?My ex wanted us to be best friends but i...

told him if he is dating someone else then she should be his best friend.

2. Shelvajay profile image58
    Shelvajayposted 7 years ago

I recently had that experience,and to me, I felt like my ex was always trying to hold me back from meeting new love, and trying to hold me for himself, selfish as it was.  He actually was and is dating another woman, and bought me a Christmas Gift, like we are still in a relationship!  I exposed the Truth for what it was, and set him free with it.  I actually have a couple of Hub Articles on that topic, if you want to drop by and read them.

3. Tony DeLorger profile image82
    Tony DeLorgerposted 7 years ago

Ex friendships never work out when the ex gets a new partner. How could it? It you were with someone, would you want him to spend lots of time with his ex? I don't think so. He may have been a great friend to you, you don't say, but men often have mother type relationships with women who take care of them. If you're one of those caring and nurturing types, perhaps he doesn't want to let go of that part of your relationship. It has been my experience that once a commited relationship is over, it's time to move on. Remain friendly by all means, but hanging out does nothing for your future life and partners. Take care.

4. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

In most cases, it seems like ex's try to hold on to the friendship to mitigate their feelings of guilt for breaking off the relationship, or for trying to hold on to a second option in case their new relationship doesn't work out. Maybe sounds harsh, but there are often few other explanations...sure, you and your ex may end up being friends for completely different reasons, but it's usually not when they actually came out and said that they want to be friends.

5. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

I have a different take.  My ex-husband and I share a son and have remained great friends.  We should never have been married as we weren't compatible as life partners, but we have a lot in common besides our shared child.

My current partner is fine with it.  He trusts me and has also befriended my ex.  The benefits? We all can sit down to dinner together and my son has 2 strong positive male role models in his life.  We all laugh and have a great time and it has caused no friction for us and has allowed my son to grow up still with 2 happy full-time parents who are both with other partners that make them happy.   I see no problem with remaining friends in the right circumstances... but as with anything else, it depends on the situation.

6. days leaper profile image79
    days leaperposted 3 years ago

Yes. I agree. Generally it seems to mean  "i don't want a war with you'
    But 'we made a mistake with...' the sex, moving in. The last part can be either or both of these or even another reason/s.

working