jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why does a marriage go stale and lead to divorce?

1. rajan jolly profile image89
    rajan jollyposted 6 years ago

Why does a marriage go stale and lead to divorce?

2. neeleshkulkarni profile image43
    neeleshkulkarniposted 6 years ago

because we do not put enough effort into keeping it alive.It is easy to get bored since all it requires is a hyperactive imagination which leads you to think that the grass on the other side is greener combined with plain laziness into making it work and  once you start telling yourself," i am bored i am bored"it is easy to think of justifications how it is not your fault and this would further lead to chasing mirages.
    not to state that genuine parting of ways is not correct or existing but mostly it is lack of effort that causes one to lose a relationship that has the potential to make life heaven.

3. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

"Monogamy becomes boring when couples become lazy"
    Whether we want to admit it or not most of us look forward to getting to a place or time where we can "relax" and "take things for granted".

We can’t wait for the “probation period” to end at a new job. There is an element of stress that comes with trying to hold onto something. We look forward to a time where we don’t have to put in our best efforts to “maintain our position”. Some people see this as the time where you don't have to "worry" about what you "say" or how you "act" because their mate is not going anywhere. In their mind "love and commitment" means "forever" regardless of what happens.

In reality there is no such place or time! Marriage like a job is an "at will" contract. (Being in a committed relationship does not mean you can stop being good to your mate and they won't go anywhere.)
    No one is "stuck" with anyone. You have to keep "impressing" someone to keep them. Competition never really goes away. A garden must be nurtured to remain alive.

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think the first thing that can happen is children.  They take up all of our time and it is easy to let the "couples" aspect of marriage slide.  It takes a lot of discipline to stay awake once the kids are down to have a conversation when all you want to do is sleep.

It is a lot of work to remain interested and together.  It is easy to grow apart and not really notice it happening until it is a huge chasm in the marriage.

5. Globetrekkermel profile image77
    Globetrekkermelposted 5 years ago

I believe monotony(staleness) in marriage happens in every marriage.Not just marriage- in all kind of relationships as well. -boyfriends-girlfriends- partners.Just the mere fact that "TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT" with no privacy left  is a reality in all marriages is a factor that contributes to the staleness of the marriage .It is not always as rosy as a lot of people tend to believe.You have to weigh the pros and the cons when contemplating divorce or separation .Personally, I believe marriage going stale and monotonous is not a reason to divorce because chances are, the next marriage or relationship will eventually become monotonous as well. So , how do you prevent this? I suggest  going on "alone times "only for yourself.This is a luxury you can afford if there are no small children to take care of.