jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What does that mean ...? Should I be upset ?

1. Jaimie Lee Howe profile image53
    Jaimie Lee Howeposted 6 years ago

What does that mean ...? Should I be upset ?

Idk what to think about this .. My fieances mom told me lastnight that I wasn't good enough for him and never will be as he just sat there and said nothing ?

2. NorthEast Timber profile image60
    NorthEast Timberposted 6 years ago

Of course you should be upset.  If your going to spend the rest of your life with him, then he should have decided to put you before his mother.  If not be prepared for a very long and miserable life together.

3. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 6 years ago

His mother disrespected you, her son and the relationship. It's either he think she is right or he hasn't the balls to stand up to her. I believe it's the latter but marrying him automatically means marrying his mom too. Be prepared for a mother in law who will find a way to come between you and her son.

4. OutsideTheLines profile image59
    OutsideTheLinesposted 6 years ago

I would definitely be upset about this. She needs to learn to respect her son and your choices. Like it or not you're about to become a part of her family and if she's acting like this now she's setting your relationship with her up for turmoil in the future and that's a very selfish thing to do.
    Hope things get better for you!

5. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure how upset I'd be but I would make a mental note. I suspect he doesn't confront his mother period regardless of the subject matter. Some kids who are raised in strict households even when they become adults never stand up to their parents. In other instances if the parents have money the adult kids try to avoid doing anything that may cause them to be "cut out".  The real question for you is, "Do I want to marry a man who is afraid to stand up to his mother and defend his choice for a wife?"

(You are not going to change the nature of his relationship with his mother.) When you marry someone you are marrying into their family. You have to think in terms of future family gatherings, dropping off grand-children, and lots of other times you will have to deal with this woman. You will never forget what she said to you. At least you know how she feels about you and if you go forward with the marriage you also know what you have to deal with. As I stated earlier you are not going to be able change how your husband deals with his mother. She doesn't want you for a daughter-in-law and I suspect you don't want her for a mother-in-law. It's tough enough to make marriage work without starting off with these types of issues. You have to decide if it's worth it to you.

working