jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Should I be upset my dad is dating again?

1. davidlivermore profile image99
    davidlivermoreposted 4 years ago

Should I be upset my dad is dating again?

My mom passed away about 7 months ago.  My dad is already starting to date.  I am not upset by it, but I feel weird about it.  I know my dad wants to be social and not be lonely, but I can't even picture him with someone else.  I didn't really have a reaction one way or the other when he told me.  How should I react?

2. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Dating seven months later is his choice and off-course in  your mind it feels weird and too soon. So much has changed over time about  losing a loved one that life is so short and should be  taken over to the next level. Strange as it may look with dating someone else he feels it is right and wants to move on.
    You should take time and think about it your dad still loves your mother but wants to share his life with someone else, to find love again and feel again. The feeling of loneliness can be depressing  and he only ants what is good for you and him to be with someone who can take care of things  at home and wants the home to be full again not in any way to replace your mother but to have a family to start all over again.

3. MsDora profile image96
    MsDoraposted 4 years ago

Your question is should you be upset.  The answer is you should be understanding, which I think you already are, given your explanations.   

Your weird feeling is normal.  This is a situation you are not prepared for; and there is no rule book concerning how you should react.  Continue to be loving and respectful to your dad, and be courteous to his date.  Allow everything else to come naturally.

1. ChristinS profile image97
      ChristinSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Perfect answer - I totally agree. I think you are handling it well.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

You can't control how you feel whether uncomfortable or upset. But you need to remember how ever you feel will not change what is going on.  You lost a mother and that is horrible (I have as well) and your father lost the woman he has spent years with and I am sure he is really hurting.

I think it is a good sign that he told you and he feels comfortable talking to you about it.  7 months is soon as the grieving process averages about 2 years but again, you cannot control what he does, you can only love and support him.

5. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 4 years ago

I'm sure your dad is still coping. I would just support him fully. I think its natural to have mixed feeling still at this point.

6. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

Of course not!
    He didn't die when your mom passed on. Life is for the living!
    In fact if anything you should support his efforts in moving on and trying to live a healthy all around life.
    The vows are "until death do us part"

7. qingtian profile image61
    qingtianposted 4 years ago

your dad deserves the best in his life. smile

working