jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Should a judge be able to order divorcing couples to trade Facebook passwords?

1. MissJamieD profile image71
    MissJamieDposted 6 years ago

Should a judge be able to order divorcing couples to trade Facebook passwords?

2. naeemebrahimjee profile image73
    naeemebrahimjeeposted 6 years ago

Why would the judge get them to trade?? That just gives ability for them to be malice if it's a hurtful divorce!!
    If they were a true happy couple why would they hide the passwords from each other anyway, you should trust your partner....Oh wait...they are getting divorced...right...

I think a divorce should come with a clause saying change your password so your Ex cant vandalize your account!

3. jenniferrpovey profile image93
    jenniferrpoveyposted 6 years ago

...this actually happened?

It is a violation of the Facebook TOS to 'access an account belonging to somebody else'. (So if you trade Facebook passwords with your partner you're actually violating the Facebook TOS). It is specifically against the rules to 'solicit login information'. It is completely unethical for any judge to order that an individual break a company's terms of service.

As for the wider implications...wow. Just wow. Any divorce lawyer worth their salt warns you to separate all jointly held accounts, financial and otherwise. Although many divorces are amicable, many are not. An ex with access to your Facebook can ruin your chances of future employment (Ever tried deleting anything from Facebook?), future relationships...you can really sabotage somebody that way.

Tell me this is a joke and a judge didn't actually try this.

Edited...not a joke. Found the news article. Wow. Just...wow.

4. cheatlierepeat profile image85
    cheatlierepeatposted 6 years ago

This is insane. My ex would crucify me if he had access to my fb account. Our marriage, divorce and post divorce relationship has not been kind. Wow is right! I have seen some pretty strange things happen in court but this is just crazy. I haven't read the article but I can't imagine why it would have ever been granted. Oh dear God, what my ex would do with that kind of access scares the b-jeepers outta me.

5. stclairjack profile image82
    stclairjackposted 6 years ago

i gave this some thought,... and while the idea sounds idiotic,.... i personaly would laugh my ass off if iether of my ex's wasted two hours digging through my FB posts,.... only to find that they realy dont apear thier very often,...and then only for a laugh. i imagine it would be quite demoralizing. hee he!

6. MissJamieD profile image71
    MissJamieDposted 6 years ago

Thank you all for answering! I couldn't believe it when I heard it either! My opinion is that this is just stupid! Typically if there's going to be any "juice" I think it would typically be the women because women talk about their relationship problems, men typically don't. I said typically! Lol...Not only that but even if someone was caught having an affair, etc who really cares? They're getting divorced anyway and just because a person has an affair doesn't mean they're a horrible person! In fact some people have affairs just to catapult a divorce. Crazy but true. My point is that unless a person is suspected of hurting someone/a child, there should be absolutely no reason to share personal information!

working