jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Adultery...does society make too big a deal out of it?

1. xethonxq profile image65
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

Adultery...does society make too big a deal out of it?

Is the single person who chases after the married person worse or the married person who allows themselves to be seduced?

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

Generally speaking society frowns upon people who break promises or betray loved ones more than they do "outside forces" that may have helped lead the person to step out. The single person pursuing a married person is clearly in the wrong but it's up to the married person to say no. We pretty much do what we (want) to do. Not many people have been known to cheat because they had a gun put to their head.

When it comes to cheating the majority of people are incline to (identify with the person who was hurt). If they ask "Why?" it's a reflex "rhetorical question". No one is really looking to gain insight or empathize with the cheater. Most people feel it's flat out wrong to cheat and there is no excuse good enough to justify it in their minds.

3. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 6 years ago

Society doesn't make a big enough deal out of it.

It may feel cool or exciting, but betrayal of any kind is never nice.

Both the married and the unmarried person are committing the same betrayal.

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

No society does not make too big of a deal out of it.  Cheating on one's spouse is more than just betraying the spouse--it speaks to the character of the cheater.  When one marries, we make a vow of fidelity, promises etc.

If a person betrays that vow, who are they then--what kind of person.  If a person is not happy being married, they need to grow some "courage" and end the relationship before moving on.

Adultery is a huge deal to me, a complete betrayal of values and character.

A married person can be pursued which make the pursuer just plain stupid--but the married person is the one who can say no and walk away.  So to me it is worse for the married person to give in.

5. delaneyworld profile image80
    delaneyworldposted 6 years ago

I can only answer this with what is in my heart.  When I said my marriage vows, I absolutely meant every word.  I took that oath seriously as we carried on in our life together.  We decided to have a child and brought her into the world together.  When he was unfaithful, he not only broke his solemn vows to me, but it also created a rift in the foundation of our family.   

With this betrayal, there can be no trust.  He was not there during many times we needed him, when he was with another woman. 

I believe it should be taken quite seriously and neither the single person, nor the married person should be considered "worse" than the other.  What needs to be considered is how adultery affects others - spouses, children and the like.  It's a very sad thing.

6. TwoCooks profile image61
    TwoCooksposted 6 years ago

I believe that both are just as bad, although, I suppose the married person who lets themself be seduced is worse because they are the ones who made the commitment to be married and faithful. I also believe that society makes too little a deal out of adultery. I worry sometimes, and I'm only 25 (and married) that society is losing all of its morals. I think we all need to preserve the good things we stand for and be better to each other.

7. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

Adultery IS a big deal.  It's a form of deceit, disloyalty, disrespect, selfishness, and oh, about a hundred other negative vices.  It causes much destruction.  Let's see, emotional pain, broken marriages, financial ruin, public humiliation, domestic abuse, childhood trauma, lost friendships, and a lifetime of guilt and/or shame (IF you have a conscience)  It creates NOTHING positive.  It doesn't really matter to the bottom line who chases/seduces who....when, where or how.  All of the above happens anyway. 
    Now, what was that question about society making a BIG DEAL out of Adultery??

working