jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What would you say is the biggest reason men / women cheat on their partners (Ma

1. Ana Teixeira profile image83
    Ana Teixeiraposted 6 years ago

What would you say is the biggest reason men / women cheat on their partners (Married or not)

We all know men and women all over the world cheat. Some people say it's because they are not getting what they need at home.. others say it's a matter or character.. other even defend that it's just insecurity... what do you think?

2. bruzzbuzz profile image59
    bruzzbuzzposted 6 years ago

I think it's the thrill of the chase for most men. I can't say what it is for women though.

3. smzclark profile image59
    smzclarkposted 6 years ago

To boost their own self esteem would be my answer to that one

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

Generally speaking the goal of a cheater is to hold onto what is "good" or "comfortable" in his/her primary relationship while addressing their other needs on the side. Even those who are unhappy with their relationships have yet to make the decision that what is "lacking" rises to the the level of being a "deal breaker".
    The majority of cheaters don't expect to get caught therefore cheating seems (easier) than going through a messy divorce or breakup. It takes courage to walk away from a known present to pursue an unknown future. Essentially cheating is a cowardly act.

5. profile image0
    kate-olsonposted 6 years ago

There are probably a thousand different reasons.

I think that one of the main causes could be boredom. There's the kind of cheating that happens when the first relationship isn't important anymore, but you don't want it to end yet, and meanwhile a new relationship begins. That seems so dishonest and hurtful.

There's also a kind of seduction, one-night-fling kind of cheating. I can't even begin to understand why that happens unless it's just a total lack of self-control.

6. stricktlydating profile image81
    stricktlydatingposted 6 years ago

I don't think it's neccessarily about being insecure or not getting what they need at home.  But rather someone has paid them some attention and they see an opportunity where they think they may be able to get away with cheating.  This could be in the 'character flaw' category, but I think people cheat simply because at the time the opportunity presents, they think they can get away with it.

7. pb3131 profile image71
    pb3131posted 6 years ago

About 100,000 years of natural selection. Men/women who had multiple partners tended to have more children who survived and passed the preference for multiple partners to their children...
    From an evolutionary standpoint, it is a very effective reproduction strategy  =P

8. emmanuellero profile image60
    emmanuelleroposted 5 years ago

It's a major character flaw - if you are not happy with the person you are, at least have the courage to tell them and break up/move on, and then get with someone else. You might have better chances of getting back together in case you decided you made a mistake later.