Does an Affair Mean a Man Isn’t Happy in His Marriage?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (44 posts)
  1. affairdetector profile image60
    affairdetectorposted 14 years ago

Having a husband or boyfriend who cheated is a big hit to your self esteem.  You begin to doubt your marriage and your ability to make your husband happy or to be enough. And there are tons of old stereotypes which imply that if a man cheats, it’s because his wife doesn’t understand him, he’s not happy in his marriage, or his sex life at home is lacking??

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What I find amusing about these threads about men cheating, is who are they cheating with?
      Or is one woman going around screwing all the men?

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lucky girl! Who is this busy bee-otch???

1. profile image0
          Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

I don't know who she is, but she sure gets around! lol

2. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile Eve is still around.

2. Challah1202 profile image57
      Challah1202posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it means he's probably pretty happy, but he isn't someone to share family responsibilities with, raise children with or balance a check book with.  Maybe we put way too much emphasis on "being happy."

1. TamCor profile image82
        TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can never put too much emphasis on being happy...smile

Tammy

1. TamCor profile image82
          TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, and if you're really truly happy--you don't WANT to cheat...husband or wife!

Tammy

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Could be!  There's also the possibility that he's simply a jerk.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't often agree with you Brenda, but you're dead right this time!

The only reason a man (or a woman) has for cheating is that they're too much of a coward to do anything else.

4. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 14 years agoin reply to this

could be but that doesnot mean that woman is responsible always...man might have himself created a situation for unhappy marriage and then started looking out...why it can't be that way too??

5. profile image0

As Mallory stated "Because it's there" of course this was referring to Mt. Everest, but anyway..same scenario.

6. The0NatureBoy profile image56
      The0NatureBoyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Most man forget doing is called 'our beginning' man were ecological and, if we accept the Bible's account, there was no marriage prior to man's eating 'the knowledge of good and evil', making us live like the other animals. That means what is called marriage is only a 'conditioned state' for social living with the intent of suppressing our instinctual urges which does not stay surpassed in boys and girls alike. Prior to this social living institution the purpose for sexual intercourse was engage in it only when the girl is ovulating; in social living it is seldom mentioned and when it is used it's TO PREVENT REPRODUCING called 'the rhythm method' of contraception. That's the birth to 'sex for lustful gratification' rather than reproduction.

What is lust?

The words 'human and woman' were developed because of a religious belief that one gender was "hewed from" or "woven from man", which is a metaphor revealing from both man genders either the 'yin' or 'yang' was removed and given to another. If we have ever attempted to connect magnets one to another it's done by joining opposing ends together which is what lust is, the internal nature being drawn to opposing internal natures of others man without respecting their genders.

From that understanding man we can recognize the person being cheated on has nothing to do with their spouse's infidelity, it is the nature of social man to lust, however, society only frowns on it when it is done openly by people united in marriage.

2. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

There are probably as many excuses for cheating as there are women to cheat with (same goes for women cheating on men).

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Affairdetector, I know men who truly love their wives and still cheat occasionally when they get the chance. It's called sport f@#$ing! Sorry, but that's what many of them call it. I learned that term from another hubber years ago, and it's aprapos. And it's not just the men who do it - married women do it, too.

How else would it work! smile

2. profile image0

If they TRULY love their wives, they put themselves in her place and don't cheat.
      If intimacy is present between a husband and wife neither will cheat.

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Well, Earnest, some women think married men only run around with single women. You know - the ones they call "hoes."

That makes sense Habee!
      The thing is, are there a shortage of married women to do it with? Are they all faithful?
      I find this sort of thread very sexist. smile

5. Rozzy88 profile image61
    Rozzy88posted 14 years ago

I don't believe that someone cheats when they are completely happy in their relationship. I do not believe that cheating is alright to do, under any circumstances. Now, I have worn both the shoes of the "cheater" and the "cheated". Both are bad spots to be in. I cheated on my ex-boyfried. He had a violent temper. I can honestly say I cheated on him because I was extremely unhappy in my relationship and was scared of what would happen to me if I attempted to break up with him. However, with that said, cheating still wasn't the right way to handle it. At the time, I made excuses for myself to justify why my infidelity was "a different circumstance" and that it was "ok". But, looking back, I realize, it was no different, and not ok to do. It was very wrong for me cheat on him, when there were alternative ways for me to break it off, and still ensure my personal protection. Cheating is cheating, no matter how you want to break it down. People stray for reasons. Some examples could be: the love they shared just isn't the same, the sex isn't "new and exciting", there is no sex, the relationship is in a rut (this may be only the cheater's perception), or, maybe the person you're with is, really, just "cold-hearted" and doesn't care. Either way, there is a reason people cheat. Sometimes this matter can be resolved with simple communication, and sometimes, the relationship is just to broken to be fixed. In the end, the one who strays isn't entirely happy with the way the relationship is going.

6. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Whether you are a cheating woman or man, cheating indicates that a need is not being fulfilled.  Happiness comes from the self.  No one can make someone happy, they have to do that themselves!

Marriages have their dips and highs, needs change and with that so can the marriage.

It is very easy to judge others when it comes to their actions.  However, everyone has their reasons for behaving in the way that they do, whether it is deemed socially acceptable or not, they justify these actions within their individual psyche.

7. stephensaldana profile image59
    stephensaldanaposted 14 years ago

Well, it depends up on the situation....Men indulge in an affair when he isn't happy from his married life of curse especially from sexual life and moreover from routine fights..

8. Antecessor profile image68
    Antecessorposted 14 years ago

Nothing wrong with cheating I say, as long as its just physical sex. Sex is just a fun activity, a recreation.

1. profile image0
      JeanMeriamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes nothing like the good old fun of bringing an STI home to the spouse. Especially if you get a really good one like HIV or Hep C so you can pass it on to the next generation too.

9. brethodge profile image39
    brethodgeposted 14 years ago

Men do extra marital affiar because they seek love in their married life and when they do not get that they try to find it outside in other women. and when tehy get taht love with someone else they have an affair.. it is as simple as that..

1. Antecessor profile image68
      Antecessorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not true, Why do married men go to prostitutes? For love?!!!

Of course not.

Cheating for men (and most women) is for sexual pleasure.

2. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is the same for women too!

10. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

The only married people I have ever had affairs with were women so cant help smile

1. profile image0

LOL big_smile

11. theirishobserver. profile image60

hello shaz smile

1. profile image0

Hello my affair! lol (Just joking!)

12. cupid51 profile image67
    cupid51posted 14 years ago

Happiness is a comparative term. A couple may feel happy in their relationship until the situation is compared with a better situation.
    It is natural for all human being that they are attracted to the thing or person or a relationship which is forbidden to them.
    But as we are all social animal we must follow the rules and regulation of the society to maintain the discipline.

13. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

When I’m good, I’m very, very good. When I’m bad, I’m better.

14. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

A thing worth having is a thing worth cheating for.

15. theirishobserver. profile image60

stop joking and get serious I cant wait forever smile

16. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

I don't believe in sex after marriage... with or without one's spouse

1. profile image0

Oh, I'm sorry.

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

please.. no begging.. no means no

lol

17. sandylongman profile image66
    sandylongmanposted 14 years ago

I think some men no matter how good the woman is, they are lacking something within themselves. It starts with the person in the mirror and communication. If your not happy communicate it or work on it. So many people think the grass is greener on the other side. Guess what? The grass needs care so does any relationship.

18. desperatejourna profile image58
    desperatejournaposted 14 years ago

A cheating man is not necessarily unhappy about his marriage, it boils down to him wanting to be happier.

19. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

no

1. profile image51
      AmberLennoxposted 6 years ago

I found out that people ignorantly die with their relationship problems because of Whom they can Trust , if you have problem of Getting your Ex lover back ***You want to be United forever with your Husband/ Wife.., Whatever is the Problem , i assure you that dr.mack201 will help you out

2. profile image57
      Amit Chadanaposted 6 years ago

I don't think so. I mean some men are like this.
      They just do it. It really does not mean that there is some issue on women's side.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)