jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

When does a lie become a lie?

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image91
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 6 years ago

When does a lie become a lie?

Is a lie only when someone deliberately says the words? Or does it include those times when someone knows that another person has a mistaken impression of circumstances, but that someone doesn't correct the mistaken impression? Does it include people who try to appear more prosperous than they are? Does it include hiding something important from another person? Does it include deceptive body language, such as flirting with someone that isn't really attractive to you? What are the dimensions of a lie?

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
    Jesus was a hippyposted 6 years ago

I define a lie as something that is said in the knowledge that it is not true wether it be a complete fabrication or a slight exaggeration.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

A lie is a "deception" whether it be lying directly or by omission. An honest person strives to make sure there is no "misunderstanding".

4. wonderingwoolley profile image56
    wonderingwoolleyposted 6 years ago

A lie is when there is deception involved, as dashingScorpio said. That includes withholding knowledge or allowing knowledge you know to be false to be propagated. That's usually referred to as "lying by omission" because you are not verbally lying, In the other cases you mentioned, such as trying to appear more prosperous, I think everyone tries to make themselves look better as part of human nature and ego, but it could also be classified as "false advertising" though I'm not sure I would personally consider it lying. If you are flirting with someone who you have no interest in, or you are not available due to another relationship, I would classify it as both lying and false advertising, as well as just mean. I'm not sure anyone needs a specific definition of a lie, because it is different for everyone and furthermore, most people know when they are lying, and do so with intent, and finally lots of people know or will find out that they have been lied to, which defeats the purpose of the lie in the first place and only adds more drama to our lives.

5. Yaduvanshi profile image59
    Yaduvanshiposted 6 years ago

A lie is always a lie. lets avoid it as far as possible
    lets be truthful to self and others as well for good to all