jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Is it important to seek the support of loved ones?

1. one2recognize2 profile image79
    one2recognize2posted 6 years ago

Is it important to seek the support of loved ones?

How do you feel when someone you love or care about doesn't support your need for seeking out a change in either a career, craft or dream?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6030359_f260.jpg

2. pstraubie48 profile image85
    pstraubie48posted 6 years ago

i really do not have to 'seek' their support...it is 'there for me' unconditionally. if i have a need for concern they are unaware of then i will, in that case, seek them out and ask for their support. yes, to me it is important to have those behind me, beside me...lifting me up and helping me 'weather the storm.' it makes my load so much lighter. and i am always ready to return it.

3. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

Not all families and friends are the same. Some loved ones are very supportive of each other because they love each other. Others have very rigid ideas about what is acceptable as a member of the family. I am guessing by the wording of your further information that your situation is the latter but not taking about your parents. In a perfect world, your loved ones would accept whatever change you wanted to make. If you are not a member of such a family, please try to do what is best for you. If these people truly love you, they will accept you for who you are even if they disagree with what you are doing.

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

I recently heard someone say, "Everyone that comes with you can't go with you". When it's all said and done, "Life is a personal journey". In order to realize your dream one of the most important things you can do is select "like minded" people to associate with. This does not mean you have to cut out family or friends in your life. It just means you are careful not to discuss your dream/project with them if they lack "the vision".
    It's tough enough to realize a dream without having "naysayers" in your own camp. Read books by those who have accomplished similar goals, join organizations that contain members who are on the same path as you, attend workshops/seminars...etc You want to be around people who "feed the fire of your dreams" and not those who "have the best intentions" but throw a wet blanket on your dreams.
    In all honesty it's the people who are "close to you" or know you best that have a  more difficult time seeing you in (a different light). Someone who knows nothing about your past automatically assumes your goals are realistic or within your reach if you are talking the talk and walking the walk. Best of luck!

5. msorensson profile image73
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

You would feel bad..but only you can determine what is best for you...

6. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 6 years ago

FYI:  When it comes to someone supporting you....you should NEver have to seek them out for support.  Regardless of what you are doing/going through!  I'm so tired of people repeating what other people say without even thinking about what they are saying.  I have heard over and over again "we all are connected", "we're all the same".  Just from experience one should know that is not true because if indeed you are connected you wouldn't have to run and share anything (especially) with the ones that say they "love you".  They would already know due to intuition and genuine concern.  You wont have to hope that they'll be there in return with whatever essentials needed to support you......they just will. it's really that easy and that simple!

7. profile image64
    SanXuaryposted 6 years ago

If mutual respect and the desire to meet someone half way can be achieved. I believe that you our wasting your time with people who never change or grow in any relationship. Its good to know them but  to limit their influence in your life if they undermine or become a negative influence in your life.

8. juiwei2000 profile image59
    juiwei2000posted 6 years ago

Look, one thing I learn in life, is that family are the most unsupportive and judgmental people there are, you can't count on them for anything!!!  You be lucky if they don't screw you over.

9. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

It's nice if loved ones support one's aims and plans, but a person shouldn't have to have the support of anyone else - no matter who they are - if he wants to reach one goal, or fulfill one dream, or another.

I think one of the prerequisites for "having it what it takes" to accomplish some things or fulfill some dreams is being able to follow through on one's aims without a shred of support from anyone else.  If it happens that one or more other people support the goals/dreams, even better (I suppose, although at this point in my life if having others' support really is "even better".  I don't know..    I've come to see it as pretty unimportant.)

working