jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Would you subscribe to wives paying alimony to husbands when they divorce?

1. titobay profile image71
    titobayposted 6 years ago

Would you subscribe to wives paying alimony to husbands when they divorce?

There's a trend rearing its head now where women pay alimony to their ex husbands in the US. Two women in this situation were featured on Anderson Cooper's show and the reason why the judge awarded this judgement was because the women earned more than their husbands. Do you support this? If not what's your verdict?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think if two people marry and create a life together and one person wants out of that union, whoever did the bulk of supporting the family needs to continue to do that for a short period of time.  But here would be a number of mitigating factors to consider.  I don't think it should be blanket approval for alimony but based on years of marriage, who wants out of it, who made the most money etc.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

In the 1970s, the trend had already been going on a few years in Ohio. Husbands have been asking for alimony even when the wife earns much less than the husband, since about 1975 that my sources can recall. I knew one such case in 1976.

In the early 1980s, one judge awarded both family cars to one husband I knew, his wife ending up with no car and making 1/2 the salary that the husband had made - She had even bought her own car with her money and it was in her name.

In 1986, we had a case where the wife had been laid off from her part-time job and the husband that was making a high income demanded alimony. In that case, the judge ordered him to pay her, but only $50/month for 6 months. However, in the late 1980s I began to hear of more cases in which the wife was ordered to pay alimony.

So it has been happening here for almost 40 years already.

In my mind, the award depends on a number of factors that include comparative incomes and educations, any disabilities, who has the child custody and others,

4. titobay profile image71
    titobayposted 6 years ago

@Patty.. I don't understand how the law functions at times but does it make sense to ask someone without an income to pay someone with income? In the instances you stated, were there children involved? If there were, who was responsible for their upkeep. What would be your advise to women in this situation?

working