jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

How do you deal with self centered people?

1. RicoShae profile image67
    RicoShaeposted 6 years ago

How do you deal with self centered people?

How do you deal with someone who can be a bit selfish at times and always has to be right, but doesn't seem to realize it? These personality types are so difficult to get through to.

2. Deborah-Diane profile image81
    Deborah-Dianeposted 6 years ago

I try to minimize my contact with self-centered people.  Most of them do not realize they are self-centered, and often accuse others of being self-centered ... primarily because people avoid being around them. 

If I cannot avoid them, I say as little as possible.  If I absolutely must work with them, I flatter them.  After all, that is what they expect!

3. EclecticFusion profile image80
    EclecticFusionposted 6 years ago

I don't deal with these types of people. I have a brother that has this problem and we   only talked one time last year and it was on Christmas. I had a best friend that always had to be right even when she was wrong. We are no longer best friends. That was more her choice than mine. Let them go. What will be, will be.

4. xethonxq profile image63
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

I'm usually direct and tell them they are arrogant or self centered...of course, it depends on who the person is and the context of the situation.

5. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 6 years ago

(1) Point out their selfishness carefully and in love.  (2) Give them notice when you're changing the conversation with a gentle reminder that the entire world does not revolve around them.

6. pharuk temmy t profile image39
    pharuk temmy tposted 6 years ago

If the eyes is bring out dirt the best way is to bring the dirt out and show it to the eye. You have to make them see who they really are and if you can cope with them fine go ahead but if not,let them know the reason why you don't want to be with them, there are people who are seeking friendship and not self-centered

7. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 6 years ago

Is there a reason why you continue to have a relationship with this person? Is the individual a family member or co-worker?

I know of the personality type that you speak of and it can be like walking on egg-shells at times.

MsDora gave some sage advice by saying one should tread carefully and lovingly.

I am kind of in a place in life, where I do not need to be right, and I don't need others to know they are wrong.

Perhaps it's just my personality, but I only take on battles that are truly important to me and let the rest pass me by, because life is just too short and who has the energy to engage in every confrontation that comes our way?

8. Goodpal profile image90
    Goodpalposted 4 years ago

Whenever I spot a person with this trait, I leave him alone by staying clear of his gimmicks to propagate his self importance. In fact, much sooner than not they get isolated to brood about their greatness in loneliness. It is a pity but they are asking for it.

There are far too many bigger things to occupy the mind; their ego problem is not one of them!

1. artist101 profile image70
      artist101posted 4 years agoin reply to this

great answer