jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How many days is it comfortable to stay with your friend as a guest? Is 3 days

1. GoodLady profile image93
    GoodLadyposted 6 years ago

How many days is it comfortable to stay with your friend as a guest?  Is 3 days is long enough? Why?

How true is the old saying "fish and guests stink after 3 days".  How false?  What is your experience of friendship and hosting?

2. albertsj profile image72
    albertsjposted 6 years ago

I think it's totally dependant on, both the individual, their lifestyle, as well as yours. Personally I think 3 days is fine. Because you don't want to start getting annoyed with eachother, for stupid, trivial things. Yes, 3 days is plenty. If it's an importand friend, who you want to remain friends with, then get out, after 2 or 3 days.  But again, it does depend on the individual.

3. AnnaCia profile image82
    AnnaCiaposted 6 years ago

In my case, the ones I call my friends are very closed to me, so seven days will be a lot better when I am hosting.  Those friends (6 in total) live in other States and Puerto Rico, so we do not see each other more than once every one to two years.  On the other hand, I would prefer to be a guest only for 3 days, but it is me, not because they do not want to have me for more time.  The others are welcome for a weekend or 3 days because by then I become anxious and in need of my space.

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think no matter how hard we try, it is very hard to leave a small footprint when staying with a friend.  I think one or two days is ideal - you have time to talk, laugh and not enough time to get on each others nerves.

Years ago we had houseguests for 9 days - we wanted them to leave so badly but they just would not go.  The only reason they finally left is that my husband's parents were scheduled to visit.  The houseguests were inconsiderate, took 1/2 hour showers and never once purchased any food.  It affected our feelings about them.

I was young then and couldn't bring myself to say anything.  At my age now, 60, I would sit them down and make a plan.  Live and learn.

5. G-Ma Johnson profile image75
    G-Ma Johnsonposted 6 years ago

3 days...

Fish begins to smell by then....

working