What do women mean when they say that a man is not "emotionally supportive"?

1. S.K. profile image77
    S.K.posted 6 years ago

What do women mean when they say that a man is not "emotionally supportive"?

How can you provide emotional support?

2. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

Emotional support. For women I think it is no more than availability. I do not know, really.

Men and women think differently because they are raised differently.Conditioning of society pegs them into role playing, I am a man you are a woman. Other than the difference in anatomy we are all human beings. In this conditioned role playing, immediately there are restrictions.

The conditioned demand for emotional support, expected by women from men normally given by women to other women as friends is no more than "I am here, if you need me. All you have to do is call."

3. lovelife08 profile image61
    lovelife08posted 6 years ago

This is kind of a tough one to answer. Emotional support can mean different things to different women.

My own personal view of it, is that whenever I am down and spilling my guts to my man, if I have a man that is, it does wonders if he just holds me and tells me what he thinks. One thing I can't stand is when a man has nothing more than one or two words to say about the whole matter when I'm looking for his complete opinion. I do the same for him. If he is having trouble, I emotionally support him by sitting with him, hugging, and talking about it. Not necessarily solving the problem, but just talking about it. Brainstorm a bit you know. Telling each other how we feel about the issue at hand. It's also a handy exercise in strengthening the relationship.