jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Were your parents divorced and how do you think it has affected you now?

1. Charlu profile image81
    Charluposted 5 years ago

Were your parents divorced and how do you think it has affected you now?

If your answer is yes, do you think it has had an impact on your relationships or parenting skills? Has it made them stronger or presented doubts on whether it will last?

2. danajconnelly profile image70
    danajconnellyposted 5 years ago

They were not, but I felt they should have been for many reasons.  However as an adult I can respect their stick-to-it-tiveness.

3. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
    Shahid Bukhariposted 5 years ago

No ... only death, separated them ...

And I would like to share ... because I, married for over four decades ... can ...
    what I ... a Muslim ... and my Muslim Parents  ... and my Muslim children ... "Believe" ...

And ...
    my sharing, is not ... in proselyting !
    I am Stating ... The Truth ... that forms an Integral "part" of my Islamic Belief ...

In Islam ...

... In the eyes of God ... " The most abominable Act, an human can perform ... Is
    Divorcing ... his or her Spouse " ... 

Remember ... "Marriage is a Contract, that Abides and Survives in Belief ... so do
    the Parenting Responsibilities ... and so all human Relationships ...

Remember ... Faith makes one Stronger ... though Experience helps .. but life is not for Experimentations with matters ... that involve human lives ...

4. lovelife08 profile image60
    lovelife08posted 5 years ago

My parents divorced when I was very young, so I don't remember much of it, but the after effects in the following years have left a lasting impact. I am still coping to this day. No relationship has worked out for me thus far. As far as parenting, I don't quite know how that will be affected yet. My first-born is still less than a year old so.....not much parental guidance given there.....

5. juiwei2000 profile image61
    juiwei2000posted 5 years ago

My parents aren't divorce, but if they are, I think I would be Ok with my dad getting remarried, but I would be very angry if my mum get remarried, because I do not allow my mum to play a recessive partner to any man, other then my dad.  If my mum get remarried, I would guarantee I would be furious to see my mum taking up another man's last name, instead, I would want to see that man, taking up my mum's last name.  Cook for my mum. Treat my mum like a queen. Tent to my mum's every need. If he cooked my mum's favor food incorrectly, I will slap him. My mum can spend money freely, he would not allow to spend any money, without both me and my mum's permission.  He would not allow to use the phone of the house.  My mum would be the head of the house hold, not him, his main duty in this marriage is to serve my mum, nothing more and my mum's main duty would be to be a queen.  If my dad get remarried, I also expect to see a situation, where my dad's new partner's role is to be a mere servant to my dad, tenting to my dad's every need and my dad would be the King.

6. nybride710 profile image60
    nybride710posted 5 years ago

Yes, when I was 11.  It was a blessing because my father was very abusive.  I would say being around that before they were divorced still has an effect on me and my parenting to this day.

working