Can a person be “in too deep” or “too much in love”?

1. syche profile image60
    sycheposted 6 years ago

Can a person be “in too deep” or “too much in love”?

2. cookies4breakfast profile image60
    cookies4breakfastposted 6 years ago

I think when you lose your sense of self, when everything you do is for the other person without consideration of your own needs or wants, you're in too deep.  That's how I would define being too much in love--or co-dependent. 
    My husband and I get made fun of, even by his mother, because we still act and feel like honeymooners.  Yet, even though we spend a lot of time together and have a lot of shared interests, we each have a strong sense of self.  I love him with 99% of my heart, but my relationship with him doesn't define who I am.  I keep that one percent for me, and that makes me more interesting to him in the long run because I'm not totally dependent on him for my happiness.  Does that make sense?

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

I suppose your question is really asking if it is possible to love someone too much. In all honesty I don't believe there is such a thing as long as someone continues to love themself just as much. We tend to only raise this question when it comes to loving our mates.
    No one would say a man who dies protecting his wife and kids "loved them too much" or the woman who recently lost both her legs in a tornado because she chose to sheild her children....was "loving them too much". Sacrificing one's life to protect another is clearly the ultimate expression of one's love.
    Since most people aren't willing to die for someone they are dating the odds are they are not loving them too much. Having said that (it's very possible a person may not be loving themself enough!) This is especially true if one person does all the (giving) and the other does all of the (taking). Awhile back I wrote a hub on this subject.
    http://dashingscorpio.hubpages.com/hub/ … e-Too-Much

working