jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What are some tips for giving and receiving compliments effectively?

1. AliciaC profile image99
    AliciaCposted 6 years ago

What are some tips for giving and receiving compliments effectively?

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 6 years ago

Former:  Don't be trite.
    Latter:  Just say thanks.

3. KaisMom profile image83
    KaisMomposted 6 years ago

Giving compliments in my experience, is usually a pleasant experience, both for me and the recipient, though occasionally the receiver may react a little awkwardly when hearing something positive about themselves, but I don't let that stop me. Expectations about how compliments are received, can leave the "complimentor" disappointed, so I have learned to eliminate my expectations in that area. Some people just aren't practiced in the art of receiving a compliment, but I'm convinced that an authentic, sincere compliment will be taken in by the receiver in his/her own way. But it must be sincere. Accepting a compliment is easy. Just say "thank you." Somewhere in your subconscious it will be absorbed and utilized at a later date. In my darkest days, I will remember a sincere kindness that will see me through a rough patch.
    Don't forget to acknowledge your own accomplishments either. Every once in a while, look into a mirror and no matter what you think you see there, repeat clearly and with gusto: "You hot-looking babe/dude, don't you ever die."

4. kenneth avery profile image83
    kenneth averyposted 6 years ago

be gracious in receiving compliments and be sincere in giving compliments.

5. Deborah Brooks profile image79
    Deborah Brooksposted 6 years ago

Always be nice is my motto.. even when you don't feel like it... My mom always said if you cant say something nice don't say nothing at all. and try and encourage each other.. help when you can,

6. ithabise profile image85
    ithabiseposted 6 years ago

(Giving): be observant and truly appreciate what is good, honorable, and likable
    (Receiving): simply say thank you and feel good that you are noticed; tell the person that you appreciate the compliment and that you're please something was noticed

7. teaches12345 profile image93
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

I think some people get embarassed when they are given thanks for acts of kindness or a job well done.  Even though it is a positive, it makes them feel awkward. I find the best thing to do is just advise them to say, "thank you" and leave it at that.  Also, the giver should keep their compliments sincere and to the point so that the reciever doesn't  feel like they are being "highlighted".

working