jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do Mother-in-Laws get a bad rap?

1. Joan King profile image71
    Joan Kingposted 5 years ago

Do Mother-in-Laws get a bad rap?

Mother in laws are characterized as "monsters-in-laws" in popular culture, but do we give them a bad rap or is the label partially deserved? I am sure there are as many, if not more, stories of good mother in law relationships as there are bad ones. What has been your experience?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Sorry not a good one for me.  My MIL never liked me despite the fact I wanted her to so badly. I really wanted to fit in.  She has genuine mental problems so my husband is not close to her either.  She was physically abusive to him as a child and verbally not that he is an adult. 

I have two sons-in-law that I adore and try very hard to be respectful and not interfere in there family life or decisions.  I do not want them to have the MIL experience that I have had.

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

No, they get all they deserve.

4. hair bender profile image68
    hair benderposted 5 years ago

I am very blessed to have a great mother-in-love.  She lives right next door to us but respects our privacy.  She does not get involved in our problems because she states that we are one and we need to work it out.  She does not give unsolicited advice but she will voice her opinion if asked.