jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Are frenemies strictly a girl thing? Can two guys act like frenemies?

1. ptosis profile image82
    ptosisposted 5 years ago

Are frenemies strictly a girl thing? Can two guys act like frenemies?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6902856_f260.jpg

2. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

Unfortunately, yes. I have even seen grown men openly jealous and critical of other grown men that have worked hard to get where they are who have never done anything negative towards them. Yet when that person is sitting right in front of them, they are all smiles.

It's not strictly a girl thing as I (a woman) once believed. There is another name for this, relational aggression, and I wrote a hub detailing some of the nonsense that goes on.

ptosisposted 5 years agoin reply to this
  3. miakouna profile image77
    miakounaposted 5 years ago

Absolutely! I have seen it for myself!

As much as frenemies is portrayed as a girl thing, guys do the same thing. They become friends with a person they do not like. Maybe it is because of the movie The Godfather, where the quote "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer", or because they want to know the person's every move.

Either way, frenemies exist with guys as much as it does with girls.

I was thinking the Godfather also! Went it came down to killing a person - it was the guy who works closest to you that is going to snuff you out. "Leave the gun, take the cannoli." -

4. yssubramanyam profile image59
    yssubramanyamposted 5 years ago

yes, it is almost correct. it is based on individuals too.

5. glenn wallace profile image74
    glenn wallaceposted 5 years ago

I actually had a male frenemy from about 6th grade through high school.
    We always gave lip service to calling each other friends, but we both took ample opportunities to undercut one-another.
    Even today, looking back on things, I'm not sure how or why things got the way they did. Jealousy had some to do with it, but also I think it had to do with both of us deciding to grow into very different people.

Is it a more of a competitive thing between guys from playing a lot of sports where there is always a winner & a loser? Maybe the girls are getting the attention of being mean  because they do more sports?

2. glenn wallace profile image74
      glenn wallaceposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I dunno ptosis. For the most point, I think being on an athletic team actually brings people genuinely closer, boys and girls. In my case I think our competition in high school band actually contributed to our frenemy relationship.

6. ishwaryaa22 profile image89
    ishwaryaa22posted 5 years ago

Frenemies apply to both girls and boys in real life. With regard to this subject, take for example, Betty and Veronica. They were both friends and enemies. They hang out together, talk about girl stuff and stay at each other's houses. But when it comes to Archie, they constantly fight over him.  The same apply to Archie and Reggie. Though Reggie often teases Archie and play pranks on him, on several occasions they hang out together, play the musical band and take part in social endeavours.

Since humans are social animals with a pecking order - I guess having a frenemy is better than being a hermit?

7. That Grrl profile image63
    That Grrlposted 5 years ago

Men like to be competitive. Isn't that acting like frenemies?

8. newcalendar profile image70
    newcalendarposted 5 years ago

Guys can and do have frenemies, my 'friend' is forever putting me down, saying how useless I am and then stealing my ideas at first opportunity. At the same time we get along better than most people outside of that part so it's a weird kind of friendship. He appears to have me as a rival. I just ignore it, it's silly.

So the good outweighs the bad then? What would happen if challenged him at the moment of putting you down. Would it escalate into a argument/fight if you didn't ignore it?

working