jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What would YOU do if your spouse CONSTANTLY put the needs of his/her siblings be

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

What would YOU do if your spouse CONSTANTLY put the needs of his/her siblings before that

of you and your children?

2. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 5 years ago

Really it depends...Your spouse assumes that you understand his choices...better to ask him if you do not..

I can only speak for myself and how I brought up my son and how I was brought up..that is when I get married, my new family will always be my first priority.

I emphasized these with my son,

1. that when he gets married, and if there is ever a time that his future wife and I disagree on something..then his obligation as a husband is to stand by her unless his reason tells him otherwise, and

2. that I do not and will never require from him to take my side just because I am his mother  because I know that he loves me regardless of whether we agree or disagree and I will always respect his decision and that my love is unconditional

3. that when he gets married..his first duty is as husband, then father, then son...

3. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

If you're the same chap asking about the carping wife, this time I'd say the situation is hopeless----divorce. Seriously, these are people who have their priorities mixed up. They may have siblings that have put them through a guilt trip all their lives, or  if they're the oldest the parents may have given them such responsibilities that they feel they must continue. Psychotherapy if not divorce.

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am a woman.   I have known situations where husbands and wives put their siblings' needs before that of their husbands and/or children.   I personally know of such a person!   I totally concur that these people have their priorities quite askewed.

4. profile image0
    danielabramposted 5 years ago

I would get a new spouse or give his siblings a one-way ticket to China.

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that.   That is why I would long and hard before I become seriously involved with a person who has siblings, especially a person with a multitude of siblings.   People with a multitude of siblings tend to put their immediate family FIRST!

working