jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Is it ok if you ask a man to marry you?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image65
    prettydarkhorseposted 7 years ago

Is it ok if you ask a man to marry you?

Granting for example you are in a relationship, and you want to get married, is it ok for you to ask the man to marry you?

2. WebDesignDoctor profile image55
    WebDesignDoctorposted 7 years ago

As a man, I would give you this advice... Make him aware that you would like to get married and when he is ready, he will ask you. If you ask him, that not only puts him in an awkward situation, but it puts a lot of stress on him and his decision.

3. ladyakunis profile image52
    ladyakunisposted 7 years ago

some say that it can be weird but in love there is no rules
    so i say: take a chance...

4. Richard Craig profile image75
    Richard Craigposted 7 years ago

I think so.  You women have been fighting for equality for long enough and are considered equals now.  It's the modern day so I really can't see why not.

5. SEOWizKid profile image59
    SEOWizKidposted 7 years ago

Kinda... I mean it's okay to do it but it's going to be really awkward for him... the men feel like they need to be ready to ask and give you the ring after asking. People are different but I'd say gesturing to him that you are ready to get married or say something like "Hey, I love you" "Do YOU Love me?" and maybe talk about marriage than he will know to ask you soon... or at-least he should.

6. graveyard-rose profile image81
    graveyard-roseposted 7 years ago

I asked my first husband to marry me. MISTAKE! The marriage ended (not due to this but still!) I always had in the back on my head if he would have asked me. I got a beautiful little girl outta the deal, so its all good!

7. Craan profile image68
    Craanposted 7 years ago

This is a difficult question because a liberal woman will feel it is okay. My best friend asked her boyfriend to marry her because of an uncomfortable situation at her mother's house. Though she loved her man after 4 years they ended up getting a divorce.

8. RevLady profile image61
    RevLadyposted 7 years ago

Whatever your decision, I would caution you against asking a man to marry simply because you "want to get married." And as Webdesign said, it may impose undue stress on the man and you may experience him slowly excusing himself away. It would be wise, I think, to discuss marriage in general to get a sense of his thoughts and ideas about it. What does marriage mean to him? What goals does he desire achieving before making that lifetime commitment and so forth? His answers will tell you much about his readiness and save you the embarrassment or hurt of possible rejection. And, remember, dear heart, marriage is not about what YOU want.

Love and hugs, Forever His,

9. bulalo profile image58
    bulaloposted 7 years ago

That would be a nice change. big_smile

Although I'm not sure why would a woman want the "right" (societal?) to propose. When I was in the process of asking my ex GF to get hitched (ex since she's now the wifey), it was the most stressful period of my life. Took me like 2 years to get to the point.

10. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
    Shahid Bukhariposted 7 years ago

Yes ... if you are a woman ... Yes ... its better than a night stand, anytime, anywhere.

11. awoodog profile image55
    awoodogposted 7 years ago

Why not? we are equals right. If a woman feels she wants to take that step go for it. I would have loved to be on the recieving end.