jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (27 posts)

If you had the ability to 'spy' on other's, especially when they are talking abo

1. CarlySullens profile image95
    CarlySullensposted 5 years ago

If you had the ability to 'spy' on other's, especially when they are talking about you, would you?

2. Nellieanna profile image82
    Nellieannaposted 5 years ago

Yikes!  You think others talk about me?  Who?  ;-)

CarlySullensposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No, Nellieanna, no one talks about you.  You are exempt because everyone loves you.  smile

Nellieannaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh, my - what a lovely thing to say, Carly.  Thank you.  Perhaps it's my grandmotherly image?  ;-)  I'm no threat!

3. Neil Sperling profile image82
    Neil Sperlingposted 5 years ago

LOL -- I'm with Nellieanna.  generally people are too busy and worried about themselves to talk about me (I hope) and it matters not at all to me what others think of me. I'm somehow comfortable in my own skin...... and I accept others as they are -  for the most part.

Would I do the spying?   I doubt it very much if I would spy on others. The technology is already available to do some serious spying and I have no desire what so ever to purchase this type of equipment.

1. Nellieanna profile image82

And I'm with you, Neil!

4. msorensson profile image72
    msorenssonposted 5 years ago

No not really........................................

You're always so sensitive and sensible, Melinda!  You should have no cause to need to worry or spy on people.

5. ChitrangadaSharan profile image55
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 5 years ago

No, I would' nt bother about it---as long as I am on the right path. I am responsible for my words and actions, and not others. So it would not affect me.

This is a good philosophy.  Who has time to fret about others, when oneself is in constant challenge and change?

2. CarlySullens profile image95

You sound very grounded in yourself.

3. Tonipet profile image84
      Tonipetposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I definitely agree with Nellieanna. I think it's less headache and it's more freedom focusing on what we are just supposed to do.

6. Jackie Lynnley profile image88
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 5 years ago

Sure I would, it is human nature! I am sure I may be sorry but at least you can know who your friends are? No? But then sometimes we talk about our friends too that we really care for and that does not make us anything but concerned. I suppose it depends on "how" someone talks about us.

Thank you for being so honest.  I think it is true, it is our human nature, maybe even a defense mechanisms to find out what other's are saying.

Relying on overhearing gossip is not the best way to identify one's real friends, I think.  There are other ways if one is aware and alert when with them.

7. Mom Kat profile image78
    Mom Katposted 5 years ago

Yes.  If I was able to "spy" on others when I thought they were talking about me, I would definitely want to know what they were saying.
    There have been a number of occasions when I have assumed what people were saying & it ended up not being the case.  There are other times when people have said things that I assumed yet lied to my face about them.  So, if I was able to know the facts & truth - I would take it.

It isn't like I would be spying all of the time.  I just hate when people hide things instead of being up-front.

Agreed!

Being up front is far the preferred way to learn them.  But if they're sneaky  it's really their burden.  Worrying about this could become a full-time obsession since one can do nothing to change others; only oneself.

3. CarlySullens profile image95

Nellieanna, that is so true.

8. MarleneB profile image97
    MarleneBposted 5 years ago

Oh, sure! Why not? I'm not going to pretend I'm all righteous all of a sudden. I know people should have the right to privacy. But, I would surely spy if I knew for a fact they were talking about me. But, if I simply suspected they were talking about me, then no, I won't let my insecurities win the better of me.

9. nikipa profile image74
    nikipaposted 5 years ago

Probably not, it only will make things more difficult. So, sometimes its better to know less... )) Just my opinion!

10. WritingPrompts profile image72
    WritingPromptsposted 5 years ago

Probably.  I'd probably regret it later too... but my curiosity knows no limits.

11. Jynzly profile image72
    Jynzlyposted 5 years ago

To 'spy' on what others are talking about me is not among my favorite activities. I admit that I am having a controversial personality because I am straightforward and fearless to express myself and my mind. Most people, colleagues, friends, and even members of my family, don't agree with my ideas and how I handle myself and matters that ordinary minds deem important but frivolous to me. They talk about me alright but I won't care. Let them talk among themselves, it's not my concern but let them talk to me and I will let them understand, if they got enough brain to understand my point.
    I cannot expect everybody to like me, let alone love me...most gossips are based on envy, jealousy and other opinions that are judgmental by nature; people need allies for their concepts about something and about other people...I just need my very capable Self to defend "me" as my ally.

12. unknown spy profile image73
    unknown spyposted 5 years ago

hahah that would be a great ability then.. yes i would take it smile

13. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

Just the thought of "spying," makes me feel creepy......I could never be a successful stalker.  The only things I'm interested in hearing, whether about ME or anything else, are what people have, to actually say TO me.....If it's something not meant to be shared with me, so be it.  I'm probably much better off, just moving on.
    My experience has always been...."Don't LOOK for trouble.......Trouble knows right where to find YOU."

14. profile image0
    vonda g nelsonposted 5 years ago

Good question, initially it sounds like something interesting to do, but when you think about it what's the point.  People that sit around making up things or drawing their own conclusions about someone else is just bored.  Anyone getting off on talking about someone else that has done absolutely nothing to them, much less isn't thinking about them doesn't seem to be an interesting individual.  If you eaves drop, you'll probably become depressed from the fact that people of this nature exist, throw up or give up on life.  You're better off accepting the facts....and those facts are very obvious.

15. Tonipet profile image84
    Tonipetposted 5 years ago

Probably no. Human as I am I'd gladly love to know what they're talking about, but I think I'd rather not. As long as I do things in the best right way as possible and not offensive to anyone, I would prefer not to bother. There might something I hear that would blow my mind and cause me to hate them. So I'd just mind my own business, perhaps.

working