How to handle a very sensitive child?

1. Deepti Bindra profile image58
    Deepti Bindraposted 5 years ago

How to handle a very sensitive child?

My son can never hear no from anyone and for anything. He rebels instantly. How to handle a  sensitive child like him ?

2. DreamerMeg profile image91
    DreamerMegposted 5 years ago

That doesn't sound like a sensitive child. My understanding of a sensitive child is one that cries easily and who runs and hides if anyone even raises their voice slightly.

My kids did not like to be told what to do and I learned a very good trick that worked for quite some years and now works on my granddaughter.

Rather than say "it's time to get dressed now - put on your vest please." I would give them a choice, "Which would you like to put on first, your vest or your socks?" Then repeat that with the next couple of items and the next. Before they and you know it, they will be dressed.  At a young age, they can only choose between items offered to them, it will be a few years before they realise that they can say "neither" and by that time, they can dress themselves!

3. visionandfocus profile image70
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

A child who cannot take no for an answer is not sensitive; he's defiant. He's defying you because he has learned that he can get away with it. It sounds like there are no firm boundaries set and that he is unable to restrain his impulses. When we do not discipline a child who's acting out, we are doing him (and ourselves) a disservice, both in the short-term and in the long-term.
    In the short-term, we are sacrificing peace and harmony, and in the long-term because a child who is not disciplined properly cannot possibly learn to self-discipline. And without self-discipline, no-one can achieve anything of worth in his or her life.
    Depending of the age of the child in question, and assuming we're not talking about the 'terrible twos', it is imperative that you step up as a parent and take control of the situation.
    I've written a hub on the 8 lessons we must teach our children. Here's the link:
    http://visionandfocus.hubpages.com/hub/ … r-Children
    I wish you well on your parenting journey.

working