Is it important to change your surname after marriage?

1. dazzlede profile image60
    dazzledeposted 5 years ago

Is it important to change your surname after marriage?

Jessica Biel has taken up her husband's surname. I think that is a personal choice, but apart from the implications for the rich and famous, what do you think are the advantages or disadvantages of changing your surname and what social or emotional implications it might have? Both short term and long term.

2. janshares profile image97
    jansharesposted 5 years ago

It was important to me to take my husband's last name without a hyphen. I legally dropped my middle name and use my maiden name instead, followed by my married name. Socially and spiritually, I was happy with decision. However, I was surprised about the psychological impact it had on me. I felt like I lost a part of my identity. It was a weird transition that I eventually got over as I established my new identity. It is a very personal choice for women who marry. I tend to be very traditional but also very independent-minded.

1. dazzlede profile image60
      dazzledeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I completely understand what you mean to say here. I have noticed that a lot of people now tend to add their husband's name TO their maiden name. A mixed feeling of traditional and independent...

working