HELP! Need some opinions.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Syrusv37 profile image81
    Syrusv37posted 11 years ago

HELP! Need some opinions.

In my novel, the main character has a best friend whom he hasn't seen in seven years. Naturally, as the novel progresses, he is going to fall for her, considering the bond theyve had since they were young.
    HOWEVER,
    A female best friend will be introduced and somehow,for some unknown reason, everything I write about her is more interesting, more attractive, and generally more awesome than the girl he's SUPPOSED to fall for.
    Should I switch them? I feel as if I have a preset vision of each of them and switching them around would feel like cheating my characters. What should I do?

2. Sheepsquatch profile image64
    Sheepsquatchposted 11 years ago

Life doesn't always go as planned. So neither should the story. It seems the new girl is winning out. There has to be some connection between the male character and this new more interesting character.

3. BSloan profile image66
    BSloanposted 11 years ago

The new girl who is more interesting, more attractive and more awesome obviously has to have a flaw.  I would incorporate a motive as to why she's so great or make her very self absorbed. 

The best friend he has known since he was young is the one that will know him best and has seen him through thick & thin.  I think she should be the one that ends up with the main character.

Good luck and let us know once you publish your novel.

4. Twilight Lawns profile image71
    Twilight Lawnsposted 11 years ago

Don't trying to force the situation. It as if this new character has developed or is developing and is becoming a real person. Let I have her own way and let her battle it out if she must with the other lady in the background. I love it when a character takes form or by herself for himself. Go with it it looks as if you have a winner... a character with a personality and a real life.

5. dashingscorpio profile image78
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

It's not uncommon for writers to state "The book wrote itself" or "The characters took on a life of their own." In reality your subconcious is probably guiding you in a direction which is different from your "preset vision".
    As in real life sometimes a (best friend) was always meant to be a "friend". If we think someone is "hot" and we have a strong attraction/connection with them then we don't normally put them in the (friendship box). We make it known that we want to pursue a relationship with them.A best friend is more like a sibling.
    It is far more natural for your mate/spouse to become your closest friend than it is for your closest friend to become your mate/spouse.
    I'd say go with your subconcious and see how things unfold. If you didn't see this twist coming imagine how surprised your readers will be as well. You always have the option to change it in the end.

1. connorj profile image69
      connorjposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was going to answer this question; however, after reading your answer there is absolutely no need. You nailed this!

6. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

It would be more interesting along the way if something happens and the main character's interests are switched. Perhaps he discovers a trait in his old friend that he'd never seen before, perhaps his old friend vindicates him from the other woman or he ends up with the awsome lady to realise he really didn't want that type of person in his life after all.
    I like the last option best, because due to magazines and TV most of us ladies feel so inferior to those long legged, firm busted, perfectly molded women presented (using photoshop and plastic surgeons) with the promissing careers in the media that we can't bear our lives sometimes.
    Let alone the picture and expectation that is formed in men's mind so it would be an interesting twist. What special characteristics in the simpleton woman could drag him away from the bomb-shell? Or what could be so wrong with that seemingly perfect doll that pushes him away one day at a time? Good luck.

7. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Go with your gut feeling. It seems you already have a vision in your head where you want the story to go, that's what I would do.

8. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

Do some exercises that will *not* go into the book. Have a conversation with each of the characters. Ask to meet and talk to them as children, at the age they are now, and 10 or 30 years after the novel is over. Get to know them. Let them become real people, and get to know them as real people, and let the story unfold from there.

A novel where you decide what happens to the character is as unsuccessful as the life of a child if you tell your child who he or she should marry.

9. IDONO profile image60
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

Are you writing the novel and somehow along the way, you are becoming part of the novel? Are you afraid of hurting a character's feelings if you switch them? Has some of your characters taken on these personalities and become independent of you, the author? You may need to take a break.
         I truly think it's just the way you presented your question that sounds like an episode of the Twilight Zone. But I remember reading 2 books by Stephen King. They both had the same characters by name and physical description, but he had scrambled the personalities. I could not make it through the second book. I can't describe why, but it just wasn't right; I couldn't connect at all. Knowing King, he probably did that purposely.
         Remember, the only person that would know you switched them is you. If you would feel guilty about doing that, there is an issue.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)