Why do some men think it is acceptable to abuse a woman or a child?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (30 posts)
  1. debbiepinkston profile image76
    debbiepinkstonposted 11 years ago

Why do some men think it is acceptable to abuse a woman or a child?

2. GGEniGma profile image61
    GGEniGmaposted 11 years ago

Probably for the same reason that some women think it's ok to be abused; they literally don't know any better.  It's very sad, and extremely pathetic, but sometimes people just don't get it.  For the one being abusive, it's a power thing; a desire to cover up their shortcomings through use of force.  For the abused, it's this sick thought that they can somehow change the abuser, and by staying with them 'just one more time', they'll finally get through to them.

In the end, it's a lack of concrete, immediate consequences, that gives people the feeling that they can get away with it.  And, in many cases, they do just that.

3. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Some men are just brought up in a world where that is acceptable. My ex-roommate used to get drunk and yell at his girlfriend and her child. "I demand respect!" Who on earth would give that foolish drunk respect? Even a 10-year-old knew better than him. However, that is verbal abuse. I've never seen physical abuse that a man considers ok.

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

As GGEniGma stated, Why do some women think it's acceptable to stay with an abusive man?
    At the very least you would think she would take her children and leave to protect them from that environment. Most likely the abusive man was abused or witnessed abuse as a child.

1. profile image0
      il Scetticoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I love your question, and your last sentence.  Typically women will not leave the man for the very reason that there are kids.  Who gets legal custody?  The dad will have the kids sometimes at least.  Women sometimes stay hoping to protect their kids

5. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

Perhaps because they know that they aren't able to do the same to men of their own or larger size without painful or deadly consequences. It could be because they saw this in their own families but at some point, a person knows right from wrong whether it's taught to them or they arrive at this conclusion in their own thinking and experience. However, there is no excuse that actually holds water with this young lady.

As for women that choose to stay, this is often due to them fearing homelessness or a lower living standard. It is also common that the man has threatened to track them down to harm or kill them and the children. In these cases as well, I must say these excuses don't hold water, even more so where children are involved. The more children and adults are exposed to this abuse, the more damage is done.

1. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

More men end up in emergency rooms each year from domestic violence than women. Men may be physically stronger, but women tend to use weapons with malicious intent to mame.

2. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

CJ Sledgehammer, I've also read more men are sent to the ER room from domestic violence as well. Most men are too emabarassed to file charges. I wrote a hub on this subject. http://dashingscorpio.hubpages.com/hub/ … -Hit-A-Man

6. profile image0
    TrinityCatposted 11 years ago

Men don't believe it is acceptable. Pigs with a misogynistic attitude, on the other hand, do. wink

1. profile image52
      wayne92587posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pig headed Male Chauvinist Pigs, pig headed, Brawny men having, machismo, their heads filled with boiled pig fat, head cheese.

7. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

Why do some women think it is acceptable to abuse a man or a child?

debbiepinkstonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Probably for the same reasons that men abuse women, only in smaller numbers.

2. profile image0

Wrong. In larger numbers. 58% of all child abuse is rendered by biological mothers.

8. profile image52
    rondalouposted 11 years ago

I think it has a lot to do with the way you were raised; the type of relationship your mother and father had, they way you were treated by your mother and father, and what you learned to be "acceptable".

9. Stickmonkey profile image60
    Stickmonkeyposted 11 years ago

Hurt people,hurt people.
    I hate it,but it is sort of like when dad's boss treats him like crap.
    Comes home and mistreats wife,who spanks son who hurts the dog,who bites the cat.
    Abuse is passed down through the family.

debbiepinkstonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like how you stated that hurt people hurt people.  Instead of facing our hurt and dealing with it, we hurt whoever is closest.  And the cycle repeats itself.

2. Stickmonkey profile image60
      Stickmonkeyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes,I think it is a generational problem.
      If we look at the pain,and  personal issues that we pass down to our kids is so much bigger than the things that we THINK we pass down.
      We pass down all of our character defects and drama,until we deal it

10. profile image52
    wayne92587posted 11 years ago

a perverted, distorted, exaggerated, sense of manliness; an assumptive attitude that virility, courage, strength, and entitlement to dominate are attributes or concomitants of masculinity.

11. InterestCaptured profile image84
    InterestCapturedposted 11 years ago

Why do some men think it is not acceptable to abuse a woman or a child?

12. profile image0
    il Scetticoposted 11 years ago

Aside from the times where it is obviously abuse (beating, forced sex, etc.) how do you define abuse?  Many perpetrators AND victims in an abusive relationship do not even believe it is abuse because they grew up seeing other men doing it (usually their father), or they believe what they are doing/have done is perfectly rational.

Some men think it is acceptable because they believe it is not abuse in the first place, the woman or child deserves it, or any other reason to make the fault not the abuser's own.

Many people believe abuse is only physical, but there is also verbal and emotional abuse, and even sexual abuse without any physical contact!  Abuse in relationships is actually a much more prominent issue than most people realize.  One in every four girls reports to having been in an abusive relationship, yet guys find themselves in abusive relationships almost as often, but report much less frequently.

1. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most women's first time being abused is in school. Because they are teens and not living together we don't call it sexual harassment or domestic abuse when a girl is felt up against her will, threatened, or slapped. Most never tell their parents.

13. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

Statistically speaking, mothers abuse their children more often than fathers do. The party next in line is the mother's new boyfriend, then step-fathers, followed by biological fathers...way down the line.

Statistically speaking, woman also are far more apt to commit elder abuse and instigate domestic violence, while men are more apt to perpetrate violence toward strangers.

The reasons for abuse should not matter, because it is never acceptable.

14. Ciel Clark profile image72
    Ciel Clarkposted 11 years ago

I don't think most abusers really think it is acceptable.  (I hope).  I am guessing most of them (men or women) justify it somehow until they think it is okay.   

I know a couple who decided together the wife would quit working because they wanted a big family.   The wife gets an allowance for food and house but has to discuss anything else.  (Personal items!  New shoes for the kids!).  I know this is not physical abuse, but it is a creepy abuse of power.

1. profile image0

It sounds like she agreed to it. And, if she did, how can this be "a creepy abuse of power"?

2. Ciel Clark profile image72
      Ciel Clarkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are right -- I think my comment wasn't very well written.  I should have said that if I agreed with my husband to have five kids and do all child and home care, and then was given an allowance I would feel like a babysitter, not a partner.

3. profile image0

I think the traditional role of a wife and mother is to do exactly what she is doing...except she gets an allowance. :0)

15. gaganbhatia profile image60
    gaganbhatiaposted 11 years ago

Such an act can be done by only those men who are mentally week............
    When they get suppressed by some other person against whom they cannot take a stand, they take out there anger on physically weaker people, specially their wives & children. Really sad, but it's true..............

16. profile image0
    matama ellieposted 11 years ago

Because they are cowards.Men who hurt women and children cannot fight against people their own sizes.Consequently, they hurt the weaker people in their domain because it makes them feel better and more superior.

Women who stay in such relationships do not know any better.Many of them think they can change such men with their love.what they do not realize is that the abuse meted out to them is like a drug to those men and they will not stop unless someone stops them.
    The best thing is to stand up to those cowards, give them as good as they mete out (if you can) and then leave.Staying with an abusive partner is like slowly doing something suicidal.

1. profile image52
      msdragonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

i agree with you. but for me i stayed with him over the fear that if i left he would kill me and my son.and after 7 years of leaving him i am still scared for me and my son. he tramtize both of us. and he still stalks us. but i agree with you

2. profile image0
      matama ellieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

msdragon, iam sorry to learn of your experience.Have you thought about learning to shoot and martial arts? there is nothing better than giving such a man a beating of his life and teaching him some fear.Try it and see how you like it.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)