Why is it always the man who is called a deadbeat dad? Never the woman?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. mypleasurefantasy profile image76
    mypleasurefantasyposted 11 years ago

Why is it always the man who is called a deadbeat dad? Never the woman?

Has our society grown to blame every parent disaster on the father? Example, why are men deadbeats and not women? I don't think I can ever remember hearing a woman called that.

Also why does the non custodial parent (usually the father) have to pay more towards support than the mother? Example the NCP is responsible for 70% and the custodial for the other 30%. Can anyone explain how that's fair?

2. multiculturalsoul profile image70
    multiculturalsoulposted 11 years ago

I suppose history is the reason. The dad is the parent most likely to leave throughout history.

I know a few deadbeat moms who have mentally and spiritually "checked out" but still have custody of their children in their own homes ... while the allegedly "deadbeat dads" do everything they can for the kids they get to "pay for" but rarely get to see.

I'm not sure how to change this, and our constipated court system isn't going to change overnight. Of course, if EVERY man stepped up and took responsibility for his kids, the deadbeat label would vanish overnight.

mypleasurefantasyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe that would be true actually. Even if every father stepped up, and most do, they still get raped by the corrupt system. Child support is take care of the child, not the state. Then heaven forbid the custodial parent is on assistance.

3. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years ago

I totally agree with you. The "system" is very much prejudiced against the father. I've been on both sides, having paid child support for years and then in the last several years having received child support from my teenage daughter's mother. I've been to numerous child support hearing and never did I hear anybody talk about the best interests of the child or how the money was to be used for the child. All I ever heard about was "the formula." The domestic relations office in the county where I live is the most pathetic government bureaucracy I have ever encountered.

4. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

In the modern era alimony and child support is based upon income not gender. I believe Janet Jackson gave her second husband $6 million and Madonna gave something similar to her ex Guy Ritchie in their divorce settlement.
    The whole notion of providing your ex and children with the life they've become "accustom to" was to protect a person who may have been a stay at home spouse. Maybe they were out of the workforce for 20+ years. The law did not think it was fair for them to have sacraficed education/career for so many years to have to start at the bottom again. However it's common to see courts award someone with an outrageous monthly sum for child support. I've heard of rich people having to pay $50k or more (per month) for child support alone. We know for a fact it doesn't take that much money to feed, clothe, educate, and provide shelter for a child each month. This has led to people getting iron clad pre-nup agreements.
    For the most part the only women that care about the injustice towards men in this area are those who become involved with a man facing this situation.I knew of one couple that lived together for 7 years and put off getting married until the man's last child reached age 18 because his ex was the type of woman that would have gone to court to ask for more money once he had a new spouse with additional income, The second wife usually does not want to support the first wife's lifestyle. :-)
    The term deadbeat actually applies to anyone who does not pay their debts. It's not soley applied to a specific gender or child support issues.

Okay I can see your point. However you only spoke of the rich not the working middle or lower class. I've seen mothers who work make more than their father and pay 268/month in child support. Now men pay 600-1200 a month for one kid. Why?

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

mypleasurefantasy, Every situation is different just as every state, county or judge is different. Sometimes the person with the best lawyer gets the best deal! I mentioned rich women because most people know of them. There has been some progress!

5. safiq ali patel profile image68
    safiq ali patelposted 11 years ago

Now I don't want to appear dumb. What is a deadbeat?

A person who runs from their responsibilities. It's normally associated with child support or family court.

2. safiq ali patel profile image68
      safiq ali patelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for telling me. I have heard the term a couple of times but wondered what it really meant.

6. SunilKalsi profile image60
    SunilKalsiposted 11 years ago

I tried calling my mum a deadbeat dad once but it just confused her. But seriously, the figures you point out aren't fair.

Perhaps once of the reasons men pay more child support is that, on average; men are paid more than women. Another reason might be that the woman had to carry the child for 9 months and had to give birth to it and the man just smoked cigars.

7. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 11 years ago

It is not fair! And I hate the deadbeat dad title too. Many men are totally wiped out especially financially by divorce and often, the women can be very unreasonable. But I think often when someone is called a deadbeat dad, it is not just because of financial reasons, parents who do not pay their obligatory child support often also don’t take part in their children’s life. However I have seen a number of instances where they refuse to pay, because their ex keeps them from seeing the children and after numerous legal attempts to get their rights, which are rarely enforced, they just give up and also stop paying. It is a wrong tactic, but I can understand the frustration.

I see my son struggling to raise his children.  They separated but are not yet divorced and she does not even bother to pay the 68 a week child support for their three children in the separation agreement, saying she cannot afford it, but her lifestyle says otherwise.  He on the other hand has to pay three times as much for one child from a prior relationship. The amount she should pay is not going to make a major contribution to their livelihood, but paying it shows a commitment to their children.

The rules more or less still cater to the old stay at home mom scenario, which often is not the case and since more and more fathers are becoming the custodial parents, time for females to remember gender equality also means financially paying up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)