jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

Should I sue deadbeat dad?

  1. brittvan22 profile image84
    brittvan22posted 5 years ago

    This is a little weird saying this, but should I sue my dad beat dad for child support for my baby sister? He is intentionally putting up roadblocks in my Mom's estate case, honestly I think he wants to see what monies goes toward my baby sister. He has lied in the past and continues to lie today. I can not trust him, should I seek sole custody of my baby sister and sue him for child support or seek sole custody and cut off all contact with this dead beat dad?

    1. shivanchirakkal10 profile image58
      shivanchirakkal10posted 5 years agoin reply to this

      dear brittvan, You have a loving heart, so things will turn good for you, You are field case. Follow it and what ever proof  you can make,do it and give it to your attorney. If you can involve your  trust worthy family members to talk with your dad, you can try that with consulting your attorney. Don't emotional. Be happy. My prayer  is with you.

      1. brittvan22 profile image84
        brittvan22posted 5 years agoin reply to this

        Thanks you for your input and support. I will definitely heed your words.

  2. Faith Reaper profile image89
    Faith Reaperposted 5 years ago

    At first I was assuming you were talking about the father of your child, and I was going to say yes!  As, the child did not get into this world by you alone.  He is responsible for the welfare of his child.  However, since you are speaking of your dad and your younger sister, you may need to run that by an attorney first.  I am so sorry he is not providing assistant to help with your little sister.  In His Love, Faith Reaper

    1. brittvan22 profile image84
      brittvan22posted 5 years agoin reply to this

      Actually talking about my dad.

  3. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

    First, check the laws on your state. I don't think, they give custody to sisters if one of the parents are alive and capable. You might want to talk to a lawyer. How old are you?

    1. brittvan22 profile image84
      brittvan22posted 5 years agoin reply to this

      I'm 28, and I think they will. I am bound and determined and will fight with my last breathe literally.

  4. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

    I admire you for taking the responsibility and good luck to you smile

    1. brittvan22 profile image84
      brittvan22posted 5 years agoin reply to this

      Thanks I have built a case for myself and have consulted an attorney, so I am fully aware of what I am doing. Thanks for your input!

  5. Angela Blair profile image80
    Angela Blairposted 5 years ago

    Go for it, my dear! I raised my two younger brothers and have never looked back. There was no family problem -- it just worked out that way -- and raising them has been one of the great blessings in my life. The younger of my two brothers has now passed on and there's just me and my other brother left now of our whole family. Our devotion to one another is a constant joy in both our lives. Would that have happened if I hadn't ended up raising them? I don't know but I'm sure glad it happened that way. Best to you and blessings.

  6. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 5 years ago

    You are acting as the parent of your sister at this point, being the legal guardian.  It's your father's responsibilities to help support and raise her, and obviously, this hasn't happened in any amount of time.  I think you are an awesome role model for your lil' sis, and you are doing a whole world of good, teaching her that women can be strong, and that we don't have to be second best.

    Unfortunately, some parents can be like that, where they treat their kids poorly.  Document everything you can, and if he hadn't paid before your mother passed, see if you can get anything for that too.

    I'm praying for you.

  7. Gypsy Rose Lee profile image86
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 5 years ago

    With the economy what it is today every penny counts. People like your dead beat dad need to face up to their responsibilities. First of all it's great for you to give your baby sister the support and love she needs so yes, take full custody but look toward dad to pay up for support. Of course in all reality he probably won't they usually don't but do what you can. Will send up a prayer for you and your baby sister and good luck to both of you. God bless.

  8. profile image0
    DoItForHerposted 5 years ago

    I don't pay child support any more. When I was being forced to pay, my ex used that money against my daughter and used it to abduct her. Knowing that I paid to have my daughter taken away from me is still painful to this day.

    However, if you ask Mom, I bet she will say something different. I blame her and she blames me.

    My daughter now will not acknowledge me in any way. I'm the likely the lying scum that is probably often referred to as a deadbeat. She is also an adult now.

    Bottom line is I have nothing to do with my daughter and I'm glad I quit paying. Now I focus on being a dad as best as I can even though few want me to be a dad. I can tell you when contact with my daughter was cut off, it was not good on her. Parental alienation is one of the worst things one can do to a child, so your dad's crimes ought to be quite severe to justify what you are thinking of doing.

  9. grumpiornot profile image71
    grumpiornotposted 5 years ago

    I am only in my mid thirties and, at the outset, must compliment you on your personal strength and determination.
    In our local legal system (not the United States), the essence of the issue would come down more to one of proving a point than of financial assistance. If your father is not able to contribute financially for whatever reason, then obtaining a judgement or court order to enforce payment will be largely meaningless in everyday practical terms. However, if you want to secure something against him for future enforcement in the event that he makes money, then go for it. This would certainly enable you to have an element of control in enforcing contributions at such time as his finances allow it. Additionally, if he is not financially flush now, it would be an opportune time to secure such a court order before he can tie you up with legal, procedural nonsense.
    On the other hand, if he is already able to contribute now, then quite apart from the moral aspects of what he is doing, I would encourage you to pursue a court order/judgement if your own means allow it.
    On the aspect of custody, again, I can comment only on our local legal system, but a court would not easily take custody away from his/her natural parent. Without detracting from your interactions with your father, the mere fact of being a deadbeat may not be enough to convince a court that the parent is no longer suitable to have custody. You are old enough to have custody of a minor child and I would imagine a court might grant you custody if your father is not able to take care of your little sister.
    That said, where an estate is involved, if the will provides for your and your sister's maintenance, then that might be a simpler plan of attack. If your late mother (my condolences) bequeathed her assets to your father, then the earlier advice stands
    Basically, I would imagine it boils down the following, regardless of legal system:
    If he has the money, sue him.
    If your late mother left him money, sue him.
    If he is a suitable parent to your little sister, your chances of success are slim.
    If he is an unsuitable parent to her, your chances are greatly increased.
    If he has no money, suing him is more a revenge issue than a practical one.
    I wish you all the best with securing the wellbeing of your little sister, financially and emotionally.