jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Can you live with a spouse who travels for work?

1. Chrystal81 profile image80
    Chrystal81posted 5 years ago

Can you live with a spouse who travels for work?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

My choice would be to see my spouse on a daily/nightly basis. Generally speaking the more successful one is the more likely they are to have to travel for work or put in long hours where they are away from their spouse a lot.
    Too often women in particular will set out to marry a really successful man without considering long-term how much they will be left alone with the children. Lets face it most (presidents, CEOs, VPs, surgeons, lawyers, entertainers, military service people, top politicians, or outside sales people...etc) are not going to be home for dinner at 6PM each evening.
    It's not uncommon for some resentment to set in or to hear someone say, "I didn't get married to be alone!". Another issue that often arises concerns (trust), and emotional/physical needs. Cheating is much easier if one is incline to do so when couples don't spend much time together. It's also much harder to "make up" after an argument long distance. Essentially one has to truly know (them self) and what type of marriage they want to have.
    On the other hand I've known couples that got very (use) to being apart. In one such instance a guy completed his four years in the navy on a sub and when he was home for good the marriage ended. His wife had gotten use to her routines with the chidren and making all of the decisions while he was away. Although he had been home for vacations it wasn't the same once he was "home for good".

Chrystal81posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I definitely believe a marriage needs to have both persons home at night 99.9% of the time. It's the only way to truly work out issue 'together" and go through all the motions and still want to be with this person.

3. mypleasurefantasy profile image89
    mypleasurefantasyposted 5 years ago

My spouse is gone anywhere from 6 months to 8 or more during a year and I still live with him. I think when a woman or man considers the thought of leaving because the other is gone so much is weak at heart. As dashing mentioned as well, it's hard to adjust to them coming back---my spouse is navy--and I get used to making all the decisions when he's gone. However I've also gotten used to becoming blatantly lazy when he comes home as well. It's his turn to keep up now.

Long distance is surely NOT for the feint at heart. Props to you for your strength and "staying power!" That's when you know he's worth it. You're right, it's his turn to hold up his end of the deal! Best of luck to you!

4. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 5 years ago

My husband is currently on a two weeks business trip. This is his 3rd this year.

On one hand I miss him and hate that he is away from home especially at night but on the other hand our children are grown so his time away gives me some "me" time to do whatever I want with no schedules to worry, about.   

I think it can actually be good for a marriage because you appreciate the time together even more.

Well said... I could definitely see both sides as well :-)

working