jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Why do women generalize men based off the actions of the few?

1. BigAL74 profile image62
    BigAL74posted 5 years ago

Why do women generalize men based off the actions of the few?

2. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 5 years ago

For the same reasons that  some men stereotype women.  It is easy to stereotype and to come up with the mythological - 'all men/women behave this way'.
    It is sloppy thinking.

3. BigAL74 profile image62
    BigAL74posted 5 years ago

I figured as much because I hate hearing all guys are the same from the same girl. They end up choosing the same type of guy expecting to get a different result. The generalization is really annoying because the guys they go for are really all the same but they only go for the cute face and not the personality. Thanks for your answer

1. JimTxMiller profile image77
      JimTxMillerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Why do you generalize all women based on the actions of a few?

2. BigAL74 profile image62
      BigAL74posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I actually did say the same girl was involved in this particular comment

4. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Everyone generalizes or judges someone or something. It is a natural human instinct. We base future actions off of the reactions of previous situations. That doesn't always mean that we (everyone) is right in their judgment. I hope you noticed that your question is also a generalization of women.

1. BigAL74 profile image62
      BigAL74posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, basically just became the prime example in a opposite sense of my question. I should have said some women that I've seen instead of women in general

2. profile image55
      The Ninth Planetposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Your first statement is already a generalization of people. That makes the rest of your comment dubious. Your third and fourth sentences are also generalizations. The burden of proof lies on you to prove "it is a natural human instinct."

3. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 19 months agoin reply to this

If it isn't natural instinct, explain why EVERY mentally capable human judges? Simply typing "Is Judging human nature" into google will provide multiple studies proving it IS human instinct. So no, it wasn't a generalization, but instead facts!

5. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

People tend to generalize in order to (save) themselves "time" or "protect" themselves. It requires a lot less effort.
    They don't want to take the time or exert the energy it requires to get to know people (individually) on a case by case basis. Thus you hear phrases like (all men or all women...etc)  or "Once a cheater always cheater" As if it's possible to be a former smoker, former drinker, or former drug user but if someone age 35 cheated once at age 21 they are (stuck cheating) for the rest of their lives! It makes no logical sense! Smoking, drinking, drug using, and cheating are all (choices).
    However as I stated each of us seeks to "simplify" life for ourselves and we do this by generalizing. Very rarely do the words (all, never, or always) apply to anything.

working