Why do people make and break promises?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (17 posts)
  1. midget38 profile image85
    midget38posted 11 years ago

Why do people make and break promises?

2. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

Sometimes people bite off more than they can chew or they make a promise while they are  caught up "in the moment".
    Most likely they have not done any (serious) introspective thinking prior to making the promise. Other times people really don't know themselves very well or they honestly believe they can do something which they can't. Lack of maturity is also a factor.
    Life is full of lessons.
    Breaking a promise doesn't automatically make someone a "bad person" it just means they are an "irresponsible person".

3. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 11 years ago

There are lots of reasons, many times people do overreach their abilities or they may be attempting to mask something else. Some people are selfish or completely irresponsible while other times the person may simply encounter a conflict that they cannot overcome. It may also be possible that they had a different perception of things when they made the promise but have come to a different conclusion. It's quite annoying when you're the one being let down but it's also important to remember that quite often it may have absolutely nothing to do with you.

4. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

If we focus on promises that would actually be beneficial if we carried them out, then this is a restatement of Aristotle's "problem of Will" where he says, "We know the good, but we do not do the good." It's been a stickler in Western philosophy for thousands of years.

I feel that the Eastern tradition has done a bit better by integrating spiritual psychology with training of the Will (not willpower, which can be violent, but genuine, loving, non-violent Will). Jung said it would be a while before the West caught up. We are beginning to with the advent of the psychology of Emotional Intelligence. We are learning how to use vows and promises effectively.

To learn more, you can read my two hubs about creating and keeping New Years resolutions.

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Out of good intention to begin with, then something else may come along. Be it a better opportunity or something that has to be taken care of immediately. No matter the reason, one should contact the other and explain and apologize.

6. ii3rittles profile image77
    ii3rittlesposted 11 years ago

When a person is not able to be accounted for their own word to them-self, they will not be able to take account with the words they give to others. If the worth of their words is nothing to themselves, the worth of their word to others is not either.

7. jennshealthstore profile image81
    jennshealthstoreposted 11 years ago

A lot of times people break promises without meaning to. They intend to do what they say, but for whatever reason they cannot follow through.

Some people promise things for their own benefit, to get what they want. Like promising to do something for you if you do something for them.

Some people promise things to try to win your affection. They will yes you to death or tell you things they think you want to hear and fear if they say no to you you will no longer be interested.

I try my best not to make promises. I always try to say that I will do the best or I will try my hardest. I do not like to promise because I know that life always throws us curves and I do not like breaking my promises.

8. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Lack of honour.----------------------------------------------------

9. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

Promises are probably made to be broken. Better not to make promises, if you are not sure of keeping it.
    Sometimes situations or circumstances may not be as expected, which might lead to non fulfillment of promises.
    Life is not so predictable....if someone is not able to fulfill the promise, there can be reasons for him/ her.

10. tillsontitan profile image83
    tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

In my mind its a lack of respect.  If you can't keep a promise, don't make it!  Why disappoint and make yourself look bad when you can simply not make the promise in the first place.  "I will TRY to do such and such", not "I promise".

11. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 11 years ago

A promise is the hope we should take it seriously bcause for every promise you have to pay the price.Its very bad habit to break promise.If u can't fulfill it just do not promise.

12. Willyjames77 profile image58
    Willyjames77posted 11 years ago

hey hey hey Hold on @tillsontitan,  just one sec. I know it hurts when someone break the promises but who loves you can't do it, may be there are some circumstances that make him/her break the promise, so we can't predict whether  he/she want to break it up.

13. howtobeasuccess profile image66
    howtobeasuccessposted 11 years ago

For me it depends much on the promise that is made. There are some people who keep on making promises even though they know that keeping it is really hard to do. This is the reason why they usually end up breaking their promises. The though is quite simple, if you make promises that you can surely do then there would be no reason why you can fulfill it. The simple rule, only make promises when you could place your life as bet to fulfill it.

14. Li Galo profile image74
    Li Galoposted 11 years ago

If it's happening on a regular basis it's because of one of two reasons.  They are either (a) a flake without integrity or (b) lacking time management skills and don't know how to break the cycle.  Either way, I don't put up with it in my life.

For anyone, there's always something that may happen in life, like a flat tire, an unexpected required bill to pay, etc. that may stop them from fulfilling a promise - at the moment - but it shouldn't become the reason they never do it.  These things should be so infrequent that no one would consider them a personal characteristic of yours.  If they happen regularly, that's bad.  I dropped all of those flaky friends and family from my life when I got to be about 25 years old and I never looked back.  I'm so much better off for it!

I don't put up with extreme tardiness either.  A friend once showed up 2 hours late to a dinner party I threw.  His excuse was that time got away from him. I told him - in no uncertain terms - that he would never be invited back to another dinner party if he was going to rsvp that he'd be there on time and then show up that late again.  Flaky friends are for fools.  By the way, he never pulled a stunt like that again on me and we are still friends.

15. soconfident profile image71
    soconfidentposted 11 years ago

Sometimes we are put in a situation that will cause for quick decisions and will cause a promise to be broken

16. shwetha123 profile image60
    shwetha123posted 11 years ago

In my opinion its easy to make promises but its really very tough to follow it. So most of the time people make fake promises and as the time passes they forget their own words.

So in my opinion if a person is not able to be accounted for his/her own words then why they make promises.

1. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You stated "its (easy) to make promises but its really very tough to follow it" Doesn't that imply some promises are made with the intention of being kept? Sometimes people end up adjusting their priorities based upon unforeseen circumstances.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)