Can two parents of the same sex raise children?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (28 posts)
  1. jlpark profile image77
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

Can two parents of the same sex raise children?

I ask this AFTER writing my hub on a similar topic (Teenagers of Same-Sex Parents Developing Normally), but I'm looking to write another on the views of people and those who are SS parents.

So, can SS parents raise children? Why? Why Not? What are your opinions?

Spirited Discussion will be acceptable, abuse will not - you are entitled to your opinion, but so is everyone else. (Also - incorrect statements eg Paedophillia etc will be called out - you are to talk about why you think they can/can't but not accuse a group of people of criminal activities)
    GO!

2. baja2013 profile image61
    baja2013posted 11 years ago

I don't think so.
    Why? Because it's not natural. Child need mother not only for milk but for warm hug, heart vibration, mothers' emotion in general. And also need father, someone who is guide and friend authorithy. Don't believe SS parents are good combination for a child, and don't believe SS parent could give real parental love and care to their child. They could be a good friends with kid, but that's not the same. Extremely deviation in personality could occur later in any phase of childs' life.

jlparkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Baja - thank you for your comments.  You make several statements as 'fact' which require just a little more information - would you care to elaborate on your statements further? Just so we understand where you are coming from without misunderstanding

baja2013posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Please read my last sentence. Maybe would better understand my point.

3. jlpark profile image77

That is what I meant - Baja. You make statements of fact - can you please provide more information - for example - where this fact comes from? I ask this of most people where they've said something I need clarification on for my hub.

4. baja2013 profile image61

Maybe some hub appear on this subject, internet is full of different types of studies on this issue.

5. jlpark profile image77

So you don't know where you got such facts from? The reason I ask is that in order to make such a statement you would need proof behind it. Studies I've read say the opposite so seeing yr source would give me both sides on the issue.

6. Marsei profile image93
      Marseiposted 11 years agoin reply to this
    7. jlpark profile image77

Marsei - thanks though I am not sure that its the one Baja read! Thanks!

8. Marsei profile image93

I would like to be pointed to an article that states that the children of same sex parents are more likely than the children of heterosexual couples to have extreme deviation in personality.  I'm waiting as it's stated as fact, not opinion.

9. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_co … 3/roe.html
      Some very sensible questions asked in this article....

10. jlpark profile image77

Marsei - very good points.
      Jonny - interesting article.

3. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years ago

Baja, great respect to you for having your view on this subject.  However, several of those worries do not prove true in practice.   
    These are my views:   First, I question what is "natural."   If one accepts, for the sake of argument, that there was a design to our world and our biology, anything sexual is intended to invite intimacy and union.   In order to be attractive and desired, the sexual act was "made" enjoyable and sensual.  Otherwise which species would indulge?
    Secondly, a child's sexuality and orientation does not depend upon the sexual activity or habits of it's parents.   Many parents never teach their children anything about sex, yet the child learns it somehow.   This applies to heterosexuality as well.  Having two loving individuals as parents, regardless of their gender, does not in practice "make" a young person homosexual.
    Thirdly and finally, Baja you use the phrase "Don't believe SS parents are good combination."   There are uncountable numbers of same-gender parents looking after children.   These parents make the choice to nurture their children into adulthood.   Most are very successful in that objective.   The children do not turn out gay.   They do not suffer extreme deviation later in life.   
    Think of all the children who have been abandoned by their biological parents and families; They would be blessed to be taken into the care of two adults who are in a loving relationship.

Jonny - thank you for your respectful answer/comment to Baja.

I would like to keep it simple. If I  need to explain "Natural" I would say that our reproduction organs are not ment for SS use, so this implicate parents are only different sex combination. That's just a physical view, not to mention emotional one

Baja - just a thought - are children concerned about how their parents have sex? From what I recall no one likes to think their parents do anything of the sort!
      I ask this respectfully though, would like to see the answer

4. DexisView profile image80
    DexisViewposted 11 years ago

I think that in today's world that any child who feels loved is blessed.  Do you have to be a mom and a dad?  I don't believe so.  You hear so many stories of the dad that was never there or the mom that was abusive.  Those are just examples there are so many more.  The point being wouldn't you rather see a child raised in a home with love rather than obligation.  A child knows when they are loved.  Being raised with love and acceptance should be taken in whatever form that may come in.
    Open communication is key if 2 parents are of the same sex.  Although it is more common now, it still makes a child different.  If it is openly talked about so the child always has a sounding board (and again this applies to many other areas of the childs life as well), that child will be grown up and learn to #1 accept love from others and #2 respect differences.

Thank you for your thoughtful answer.
      Communication is a key regardless of gender of parents. If you don't talk, it doesn't work. Are there any studies that you have read that agree with you?

5. Marsei profile image93
    Marseiposted 11 years ago

I was raised by two rather distant and preoccupied parents, not warm fuzzy folks.  Having two loving, affectionate parents one can depend on and feel love from seems like a wonderful alternative to me, regardless of their gender.  Love and consistency, in my view, are so much more important than what's "natural."   
    I think many would be shocked beyond belief by some of the things that go on in "natural" families.   In some of the work I've done, I've heard accounts that would shock the most jaded person.  We derive comfort in things staying the way they have always been.   This organism called "society" requires that we give up that comfort to accommodate others occasionally.

In my opinion, love is the clincher, not gender.  Love is, after all, the "greatest of these."   I think we'll all be held accountable one day to a higher power, whether it's our own higher selves or the "spirit in the sky."  I don't think the question will be:  Who did you have sex with?  I think it will be:  How much and how well did you love others?   How much time did you spend fretting about the mote in your neighbor's eye and ignoring the boulder in your own? 

It's a good question you've asked and I think the answers so far are well-thought out and intelligent.

Thank you for your answer.
      Because you've explained it thoroughly, if there are any studies that you have noted - can you provide? If not, thanks for the thought you've put into this also.

2. Marsei profile image93

No studies.  I worked with people with AIDS in the '80s.  It was an enlightening experience.

6. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Yes, they can. However, there are a few things they will have to face. One study claims children raised by same sex couples are more likely to be depressed, suicidal, lack of morals, etc. However, they are exceedingly diverse and friendly.

Ibur - can you provide this study so we can see it? I'd really like to read the study you mention so I can write this hub. Thanks for your answer.

2. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's from Baylor University in Texas. A lot of people weren't happy with the study so another college is doing the same study but larger to see if there are similar results.

Cool - thanks. Ill check it out.

7. Vlorsutes profile image79
    Vlorsutesposted 11 years ago

With the tests, surveys, and research done, I don't feel that children raised in a same sex household are any better or worse than those raised in a "traditional" household. What it comes down to is the parents themselves, not just the orientation of the parents. If the parents have good morals, are good role models that help teach the child and help them grow to be responsible people, then it shouldn't matter if the parents are both men or both women.

We have no qualms in society if a single parent is able to raise and nurture a child properly and give them a healthy environment to grow up in, so why should we have qualms about a homosexual couple raising a child?

I think we as a whole need to look less at just the orientation of the parents when trying to determine which kind of household is better for a child, and at the kind of individual the parent he or she is when sexual orientation is taken from the picture.

Vlorsutes - thank you for your thorough answer. Most of the studies I have found agree with you.  And whilst personal opinion of people may differ, it is when it is put down in quantifiable terms that it matters.  Thank you for this

2. Marsei profile image93

I like the point you make about a single parent.  It's a simple one but one that I hadn't considered.  If we're okay with one woman or man, why not two, indeed.  jlpark's question certainly got us all thinking!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)