jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think avoiding negative people helps with social skills?

1. starx profile image65
    starxposted 4 years ago

Do you think avoiding negative people helps with social skills?

I got some suggestions on avoiding negative people and not talking to them. As I am not much financially strong, I wonder if the not talking part is going to backfire in terms of social skills and networking. When do you think not talking and avoiding part is good and bad for ourselves?

2. cloverleaffarm profile image76
    cloverleaffarmposted 4 years ago

I avoid negative people all the time, at all costs. Their energy is not good for my life, so I therefore stay away. If they happen to be among a group, I am civil to them, and move on. The negativity of their life does not have to ruin my life. Networking with negative people will only bring negativity into your world. I refuse to do networking with someone who is just a taker, and doesn't give back. They zap you for what you can give, but give nothing in return. There are plenty of positive people out there to help you reach your goals.

3. CloudExplorer profile image78
    CloudExplorerposted 4 years ago

It depends on how negative they are towards my social contacts and that of myself. If they are on the extreme side with their negativity, then I no-longer connect or network with them.

Now, if its just a few isolated incidents, I address it with them and then keep on moving, because wasting time like that will cost me some digital earnings in the end and I cannot afford to lose any of my online potential of reputation due to a rotten connection, or rotten apple in the bunch.

I hope this answer suffices, and its my best advice to pretty much evaluate the circumstances surrounding such negativity detected. Avoiding it sometimes is impossible, and especially when an entire community may be infected by such people.

Good luck in any event on your online travels, and thanks for asking such a good question!

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

You are responsible for your own happiness.
    Associating with negative or toxic people will not enhance your social skills. There are over (7 billion) people on the planet. Opportunities for networking are boundless! Don't limit yourself to a couple of little circles.
    I've never heard of anyone who enjoyed being around negative people. An unhappy person is likely to be less engaging in conversations and an introvert. The great thing about life is (we) get to (choose) who we spend our time with!

working