jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is "sorry" for the other person's benefit? Or to make yourself feel better? Or i

1. jonnycomelately profile image83
    jonnycomelatelyposted 4 years ago

Is "sorry" for the other person's benefit? Or to make yourself feel better? Or is it a 2-way street?

That other person has suffered in some way.  Do you really feel that suffering? Do your really empathize?
    Or, is your guilt getting the better of you, and you just want to feel better about yourself, by getting it off your chest?

2. nasser deep profile image76
    nasser deepposted 4 years ago

I apologize when I feel I did something wrong that hurt somebody.The apology may or may not relief the other person's hurt , but it makes me feel better telling him I understand his hurt , and it is important to clear grudges instantly otherwise they will pile up and block your way to others.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

It's something we (people) came up with that usually serves no purpose at all. In reality saying I'm sorry or I apologize does nothing. It doesn't take words or behavior back. It doesn't fix a broken trust. If there is any benefit it is mild and mostly for the at fault party.

4. Amber Vyn profile image61
    Amber Vynposted 4 years ago

Sometimes 'sorry' is used just to grease social wheels (e.g. 'I wanted regular tea, not sweet.' 'Oh, sorry about that. I'll bring you another glass.').

However, I think when a 'sorry' is sincere and you see that the person is genuinely not going to engage in that action again, then it can have real meaning. I think 'sorry' can begin the healing process, but it takes action and time to fully mend the rift.

working