Is There A Difference Between Dating And Courting

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Singlesstreetlife profile image60
    Singlesstreetlifeposted 14 years ago

I am interested in finding out how people view dating and courting. Is there are difference or is just semantics?

1. Himitsu Shugisha profile image71
      Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, in my opinion, there is a difference. Courting typically is a man who has a sincere interest in a woman who he one day intends to marry. Whereas dating could be just two people "hanging out" with one or both parties not necessarily interested in taking it further than just a date.

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll be glad to let you know- Yes, there is a difference. Hence, meaning of the relationship. That's it. big_smile

3. profile image0
      L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Courting can be unofficial or unromantic. You can court a friend. Dating is official and romantic.

That's my opinion atleast.

4. Lita C. Malicdem profile image60
      Lita C. Malicdemposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Dating" to me means "going out to know you better" and "courting" means "I'll be seeing you home to get to know your family- parents, brothers, sisters- better". And eventually, it might mean, "I'm planning to make a proposal".

Semantics, yes- hope you get my contextual meaning? Thanks.

Singlesstreetlifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.At the end of the day I believe it is important for the couple entering into a relationship to know/discuss exactly how they see a relationship.  The clearer you are from the onset the better it avoids confusion and misunderstandings in the long run.

5. prosmentor profile image60
      prosmentorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dating has to do with initial stage of trying to see if you can settle down or marry this particular person. Courting is the stage before marriage. It comes after 2 people have aggried to marry.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I agree. courting is the man doing things to attract and 'woo' the woman. it's more romantic and much less prevelent in the american culture.

dating is more a social engagement, a movie, dinner, etc. dating is more casual and can turn more serious.

I know!! Doesn't courting seem like something our parents did, but is out of style nowadays. It's actually kind of sad.

1. baltazardomagas profile image59
        baltazardomagasposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup it's kind a sad... But, if you can incorporate courting while dating, dating could be the most romantic time to both of the gentleman and the lady.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

it is sad. it has to be taught. now people are so casual, it's hardly even a date. it's, hey, ya wanna go out friday?

I had to teach my two sons... flowers, meet the woman's parents, opening doors. it was more me asking, 'are you going to..." I didnt sit down and teach them. but that is how it used to be done.
    the father would teach his sons.

how are they going to know unless they're taught? hmm

I couldn't agree more. It has to be instilled in young men to be gentlemen, and young women have to be taught to be appreciative of the gesture.

2. Singlesstreetlife profile image60

I agree. I know it is old fashioned to court but it is great to be able to teach the values of love and respect.  The question is where are the teachers?

4. Chouji-Von-Lycan profile image59
    Chouji-Von-Lycanposted 14 years ago

It was iteresting reading all those points, i always thought courting is what lead up to dating that lead up to marriage, but i think i may have got it the wrong way around.

I thought the courting is when you find some one you like and you arange to go on a couple of dates to see if you both wanting to commit into the whole dating phase.

I have been enlightened smile

5. Sa Toya profile image83
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

I think dating is like 'seeing' someone you're not officially an item yet but are meeting up and getting to know each other hopefully with the intention to get serious. It is that period you figure out if you want more with that person.
    Also there are things known as group dates which is just friends hanging out or even speed dates- quickly getting to know someone

Courting I think it more the relationship end. It's for real as in you plan on being with that person on a serious level- the woo stage or antics of wooing are more elaborate than a date.

Times have changed everything's all about being causal, friendships,sex,relationships,dates. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being causal but I'm at that age where I'm more serous. STRANGE THOUGH I'm only 22 and feel that way- I want to have fun but not always be casual.

I do not really use the word courting anyways I'm more of a seeing/dating or full on relationship classification type of gal.

The terminology I believe does not matter but the values and principles behind why you are entering into a relationship with someone should matter.  You should know why you are entering into a relationship with someone.

6. Singlesstreetlife profile image60
    Singlesstreetlifeposted 14 years ago

Would it not just be so wonderful if we could just be open and transparent in our relationships so we can free ourselves of jumping to conclusions about the status of our relationships with one another.

I have had to counsel so many ladies who are not sure whether they are even dating or courting because they have not asked for clarity and neither have they been given it.

The result is relationship mess or worse still pain if there has been a misunderstanding or a wrong interpretations placed on it.

7. Rod Marsden profile image68
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

Only semantics nowadays. Courting gives the impression of courtly behavior as from the court. This once meant good manners both ways. All of that is gone. Dating is probably the more accurate term for the 21st Century. It is a pity.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)