Internet Dating

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sophsposted 14 years ago

Can you form a successful relationship with someone you meet over the internet?

1. Mekenzie profile image77
      Mekenzieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sophs, I know two people who met on internet dating sites and ended up marrying.  They both went through eharmony.  I like that site because they do a complete profile with some psychological testing on you.  They will ONLY match you with people that you are compatible with.  I wrote a 3 part series about my friend Sara's Mishaps with internet dating ... it's pretty crazy  ..  She tried eHarmony with some pretty good success - but they charge you and she never seems to have the extra money ... she gives so much away to others  ...  so she's been using free sites.. which I do not recommend based on her experience.  smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sure you can. I have met some nice people on dating sites.
      some people don't like to go out to the traditional singles type places, where you know absolutely nothing about the person you may meet.

eharmony is a reputable site with background searches and matching criteria. the psychological test is worth the free trial.  I would definitely stay away from any free sites.

3. myownworld profile image70
      myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

in fact, it's a great way to meet someone for the first time, esp. if you're an introvert and not so confident in real life. Once you've 'connected' with someone on line, most people switch to skype, where they get a better chance to see/talk to each other. After that, there are always ways to meet in person and take if from there...!

4. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have some friends that did, so far so good...

5. Black Lilly profile image61
      Black Lillyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitely yes - and that's from my own experience.

6. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I met my wife on an early chat room way before internet dating sites were available - I was in the UK she was in the US - we just celebrated our 12th anniversary - we met in 1995 on an old chat room called cybersight - very basic site!

7. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i guess anything is possible, but i think people looking for love online will just be running into a lot of creepy married guys who want cybersex.

1. profile image0
        Maximus591posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is merely your perspective.

In the interests of balance... a lot of unmarried men looking for love will be running into profoundly unattractive, overweight females who think it acceptable to post a picture of herself that is 15 years out of date.

1. profile image0
          sophsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You really have an issue with 'fat women' (as you so nicely put it) don't you Max

1. profile image0

Yes, I just don't see the point of them.

They are not pretty to look at.

They have to spend more time washing than a slim person.

They frequently use excuses such as genetics and psycho-social pressures to justify the expanse of their girth.

Their boobs are typically a horror show gone desperately wrong.

They consume more air than a slim person, especially after running for a bus.

Their big, bloaty faces bare an uncanny resemblance to a Halloween pumpkin.

If they sit on a you then you will die of asphyxiation.

I could go on... but really. I think you get the picture. I just don't understand why you can't ban them.

1. profile image0
              sophsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh aren't you just a delightful person

2. WriteAngled profile image72
          WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A lot of unmarried men looking for love will be flabby nerds with poor hygiene and no social skills.

1. profile image0

... and they will have a rich gamut of flabby, bloaty-faced, saggy-boobed females to select from. They deserve each other.

But if you're male and not a flabby nerd then you deserve a far greater choice of female than the genetically obscene looking freaks that pass for the female gender on sites like Match.com.

1. WriteAngled profile image72
              WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't know. I never had any problems in finding real men so never explored such sites.

2. shaji perappil profile image61
    shaji perappilposted 14 years ago

sffhgjjk

1. myownworld profile image70

...though there are always mishaps like these ones!! roll

2. waynet profile image67
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

vvvhhhtppkkle (which translates as "I agree!")

3. Mamelody profile image59
    Mamelodyposted 14 years ago

I met one of my best friends today online.. Of course it started out as dating but it wasn't working out so we settled for being friends.. now we're the best of buddies and we've known each other for like 8 years now.. So nowadays you're likely to meet someone that makes sense online than in the real world smile

4. profile image0
    sophsposted 14 years ago

Great positive posts people! :-) Awww Mamelody that is so sweet! :-)Great you can still be friends.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I also met two girlfriends online, you know, pals. one I've known for about 6 years. her daughter made a profile for her on one of the dating sites and then searched women in the area that she thought would make good friends for her mom. I received an email from the daughter talking about her mom and I was so impressed that an adult daughter would do that for her mom, that I reached out to the mom. we met at an art festival and have been great friends since.

the other friend was from Paris. we started talking on a site and I told her I was making a trip to Paris and wanted to know some great places to eat, so we kept in touch until my trip and met at a crepes cafe in montemarte. I talk about her in a couple of my paris hubs. we talked for hours at that cafe and have remained friends through facebook and emails. big_smile

6. Chloe Comfort profile image61
    Chloe Comfortposted 14 years ago

I have never tried it myself but I do have a couple of friends who met their significant other thru online dating sites and their relationships are still goin strong smile

7. profile image0
    sophsposted 14 years ago

Oh that's so nice that people can meet friends online aswell as partners, I think it's a good way of meeting people from different backgrounds and cultures too :-)

8. aulialuqmanaziz profile image60
    aulialuqmanazizposted 14 years ago

I don't think I can. If you want someone perfect for your life, you need to see the whole picture of him/her, that is, by actually seeing him/her.
    There is a greater possibility that everyone likes to fake his/her identity in the internet. This can't absolutely help you to see the whole  picture.
    However, if you find someone that looks fit to you in the internet, make a time to see him/her immediately so that you can find out ASAP who s/he really is.
    Hope this helps.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil, is that you???

1. myownworld profile image70

lol yeah, does sound like him....
        but whoever it was has disappeared with the speed of lightening!

2. myownworld profile image70

but internet is just a preliminary meeting point....you naturally follow it up with meeting in person....

9. KCC Big Country profile image81
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I met my husband online.  It can work just like any other way of meeting folks.  I've written several hubs about my experiences with it including the story of how I met my husband.

10. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

I'm actually looking at several dating sites right now to join. I've met some through myspace but those are not working out.

With a dating site you KNOW they are looking for a date. So no "is she single, does she even want to date, is she a lesbian" all that crap is sidestepped.

I'm thinking of eharmony or yahoo singles. The ones you don't want to join are adult friend finder, alt dating and stuff like that. Those are just for making money for affiliates. I know, I'm one of them. smile

1. profile image0

Eharmony rejects 16% of all applicants. Currently over 1 million applications for Eharmony have been rejected.

What are the reasons for rejection? It has to be because you're a complete wacko, right? Actually no, just being perceived to suffer with depression or anxiety is enough for a rejection. You will also be rejected if you're either a homoesexual or a lesbian. One million people have been rejected on these grounds alone. Don't believe me? Do a websearch my friend.

Further, even if you are accepted it's very possible you won't even get matched with anyone for weeks. People living in New York and San Francisco and other large metropolis have complained they were never matched at all with anyone local.

Realistically, the only ones who ever get matched are the less discerning. I mean, if you're a dowdy middle aged female it's appropriate you lower your sights considerably. Once lowered, you may stand a better chance of being matched. But, if you're very discerning, suffer with any mental health issues or you're a gay or lesbian or even, and get this, an atheist (It's been speculated that non-christians are rejected due to the fact the founder of EHarmony is a Jesus freak) then you will be wasting your time.

11. KCC Big Country profile image81
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Besides my own experience that I mentioned above, I do have a co-worker that met his wife through eHarmony.  I know another girl who met a guy through eHarmony, but they had too many obstacles regarding distance.  Otherwise, they got along great.

12. shaji perappil profile image61
    shaji perappilposted 14 years ago

pleas urdetail

13. waynet profile image67
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I found my inflatable doll Mavis on the internet, when I paid for her at £14.95 she went on a date with me and now live happily ever after...

14. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

yes it can be, all things are possible nowadays,

You just have to be with them and see them first, experience what its like to be with them, more on the compatibility side not sexual etc

15. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 14 years ago

I just married someone I met on the internet, so yes smile. However, I have never done the internet dating site thing...I met my husband while playing Myspace poker...because people who are actively looking tend not to be as easygoing and genuine as those just getting together for friendship. My sister is also planning her wedding to her SO of three years whom she met on a message board much like this one. I know many couples who have either married or are in deep, committed relationships with people they met over the internet, and none of them met on a dating site. The only person I know who met someone on a dating site and actually followed through to in-person turned out to be a complete disaster, though it took them about a year to figure that out.

16. theirishobserver. profile image59
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

it is much easier to live with a woman when she is 2000 miles away smile

1. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL shhh..the wife doesn't life 2000 miles away anymore!

2. wychic profile image85
      wychicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure my husband wholeheartedly agrees tongue....but he also is no longer 2000 miles away (or I'm not?) so he keeps it to himself most of the time. Poor guy, content to live out his life in his quiet home in Alaska with just the critters for company, then I come along and cast a spell on him and no more quiet EVER...

17. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I just don't like my computer that way.

18. profile image0
    Jared in Vegasposted 14 years ago

In a way, dating sites have an advantage over meeting someone "in real life," so to speak. When you go to a bar or party or other social event you have to consider that not everyone there is interested in meeting someone. On dating sites though, everyone that starts a profile has a common goal in mind, and at least you have that going for you.

19. TheWatchman profile image79
    TheWatchmanposted 14 years ago

it totally depends on the site....i know alot are nothing more than pick up joints, while some are more serious.  But hey, why not give it a shot? what do you have to lose?

20. DanPowers profile image46
    DanPowersposted 14 years ago

I met my lady online - we communicated by instant messenger then met in real life. It's much better than blind dates, speed dating and other methods.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Find-an-Asian-Wife-Online

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)