jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What were your household rules when you were growing up and what have those rule

1. jabelufiroz profile image72
    jabelufirozposted 4 years ago

What were your household rules when you were growing up and what have those rules taught you?

2. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Every Saturday everyone helped in cleaning the house, there was no way to get out of it. I still use that rule in my own home so we can enjoy Sunday to the fullest. However, for my parents, if you cook you clean. That is not the case anymore. My husband almost always cooks, and I clean as a thank you for the great meal.

3. lupine profile image74
    lupineposted 4 years ago

If you use it, put it back where you found it, especially when it concerned tools. Clean up after yourself. If you get mad...you have 10 minutes to get over it. This taught me to be able to find things when needed, to keep things in order and clean. Also not to be mad too long or to hold a grudge.

4. Billie Kelpin profile image88
    Billie Kelpinposted 4 years ago

I only remember one rule in our household when growing up.  I could never refer to my mother as "she".  Of course, I understood that my father meant at the beginning of a topic.  For example, I couldn't walk in a room from the kitchen and say, "She asked if you want a beer."  It would have to be Mom asked if you want a beer."  Other than that there were really no rules - just an understanding of expectations.

5. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 4 years ago

My mother taught me that a household is not only about me and to contribute to the effort of running it well. That meant making my bed, helping w/ cooking, setting the table,  cleaning up following meals, and feeding pets. Besides teaching me domestic skills and responsibility, those  same rules apply in the workplace, in the community, and throughout the world. Thanks, Mom!

6. DDE profile image25
    DDEposted 4 years ago

I learned to clean up on weekends that is doing my part of the chores around the house and clean up after  a meal, always.