jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)

Why would a wife keep her marriage to a womanizing husband?

1. Jynzly profile image74
    Jynzlyposted 4 years ago

Why would a wife keep her marriage to a womanizing husband?

Why would some, if not many, wives still continue living with a husband who is obviously a womanizer?

2. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

There are so many reasons that I would not stay in a marriage if my husband was a womanizer. One would be that this man shows now respect to the wife he VOWED to be faithful to.  Secondly, the threat of him bringing home some disease from sleeping around. 

I can only speak for myself but I would not stay in a marriage if my husband was playing around.  I think some women are frightened to be out on their own so they stay...and also the false notion is that they believe he will change.  Not likely.

Jynzlyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's a very sensible answer duffsmom. Thanks for the response.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

Everyone is entitled to have their own "deal breakers" and there those people who don't have any! Some will stay with a spouse who not only cheats but is a drug addict/alcoholic, verbally and physically abusive. When you ask them (why) the vast majority of them will say; "I love him! You can't help who you fall in love with."
    I suspect the real reason they stay is because they have low self-esteem and the thought of "starting over" with someone new or worse not having anyone at all is too scary to consider.
    Another reason why a woman may stay with a womanizer is because she really doesn't care to have sex all that much and may not mind him addressing his needs on the side as long as he is "discreet" and doesn't publically embarrass her and the family.
    Last but not least there are women like Jackie Kennedy , Coretta Scott King, and Hilary Clinton enjoy being married to famous and powerful men with a major influence in the world. To a certain extent you also see this with women who are married to mobsters. The perks that come with being Mrs. blah blah outweigh their husband's occasional dalliances, For these women staying is a "business or political decision" . The greatness of the man overshadows his flaws.

Jynzlyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

This is a very enlightening answer; but personally, I won't have any of these. I won't bargain my marital happiness with anything else. Thanks for this factual answer.

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Being a man I can only speculate as to the reasons why a woman might stay. However after observing some high profile marriages that remain in tact after infidelity is known I believe these women have a way of (compartmentalizing) their marriages.

4. stclairjack profile image83
    stclairjackposted 4 years ago

i know it will sound terribly old school,.. but some women realy do stay with womanizing cheating philanering husbands because they do indeed love them.

its a compartmentalized kind of existance, but some people have no problems seperating one part of thier lives from others.. others stay for the previous mentioned reasons, fear of starting over, low self esteem, perks of wealth fame or power,.... but never under estimate the power that LOVE has to make someone STAY with someone,... despite reason and logic,... depite the threat of thier own destruction.

we often bemoan the low self esteem or lack of courage in a woman as the reason for a her staying with a cheating man,.... or the drug addict,... or the alcoholic,.... but we never apply the same standard to the woman who stands steadfast by the side of her husband dying a slow death to cancer,.... or trapped in the gripps of bi-polar dissorder,.... ALL of which are just as difficult for those who love them,.... infact,.... a man who steps out on his wife but behaves in every other way the gentleman is far easier to contend with day to day than the schizophrenic or the drunk, or the dwindling fading cancer victim.

love is a funny thing,.... thats why we write songs and books about it,... and we still under estimate it.

5. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 4 years ago

It's not good for a wife to put up with a womanizing husband. He should have gotten those ideas out of his head when he was single. He probably didn't do well in the singles scene if he treats women this way. None of the women he plays around with can possible respect him, as I sure you don't either. Some men do this because they don't really feel good about themselves in general.
    Good luck,

6. profile image60
    peter565posted 3 years ago

Psychologist believe women have the tendency to more likely to be attracted to men, more women are attracted to.  It is proven to work, in managing boy band, where the manager usually paid a bunch of girls to pretend they are in love and crazy about the boys in the beginning and soon enough, there are a bunch of teen girls are going crazy for them, for real.  The same principle apply to why some women would still want to stay with a womanizing husband.

Jynzlyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the bandwagon mentality...still very human...some human tendencies that contribute to a sick society...

7. everythingbike profile image81
    everythingbikeposted 2 years ago

From personal experience, My mother stayed with my father because she was afraid to leave. She did not know what she was going to do in terms of raising the kids and making enough money to support the family.
    She also thought that he would change and therefore tried to stick with the marriage until things changed.
    Many woman are also threatened and berated into thinking they are not good enough for anyone else and should stay because it is the best they can do or are told they will not be able to fend for themselves.

This is a case of some weakling personality of a wife...

8. nicomp profile image68
    nicompposted 2 years ago

Hillary was promised a Senate Seat for keeping quiet. She saw the path to power and it required her to participate in The War on Women in order to get where she wanted to be. She savaged Kathleen Willey, Jennifer Flowers, Paula Jones, and Juanita Broaddrick, and probably many other women on her way to the top.

It was either that or go back to the Rose Law Firm in Arkansas.

A personal ulterior motive...perfectly right

9. SAHM9 profile image59
    SAHM9posted 15 months ago

It is unconfirmed, but I believe my husbands cheats.

I don't like it, nor do I condone it, but we have four children to consider and the fact that I actually do love my husband.

I do not suffer depression. I do not have low self esteem. I am, however, extremely affectionate. I believe we meet people for a reason and he needs me in some way. As do I. I have separated from him before, I have lived alone. I am not afraid of being alone or living alone. I can support myself and care for myself with or without a partner.

I'm not proud of my husband actions. But such is life. I don't appreciate being belittled because I chose to stay with a cheating partner. I have worked hard to be where I am and I don't intend to ruin it.