jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

What is the most important part about making a relationship work?

1. ReneeDC1979 profile image61
    ReneeDC1979posted 4 years ago

What is the most important part about making a relationship work?

2. Relationshipc profile image87
    Relationshipcposted 4 years ago

Trust. It is the foundation of any healthy relationship.

3. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

My relationship with my husband works because of respect.  We work really well together.  We love one another whole-heartedly.  In sickness and health he has always been there.  I think relationships fall apart from resentment which comes from an uncaring partner or one who is untrustworthy.  My husband and I appreciate each other for all our good qualities and we are gentle to each other in loving kindness when one of us has a bad day.  We support each other's ideas as well and talk through things instead of immediately dismissing each other.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

So many things, but to me trust comes first. You have to be able to trust the person you are in a relationship with for there to be real love and intimacy.  All other things follow and the relationship grows and flourishes.

5. allisonlawrence profile image76
    allisonlawrenceposted 4 years ago

I agree that trust is a significant foundation for a relationships. Humility is also key in helping to create that trust. Instead of approaching a relationship from a stand point of it meeting a need of fulfillment or pleasure, humility approaches a relationship in an attitude of serving. My husband and I want to "out-serve" each other. Whether it's resolving conflict, making decisions, or doing chores - if you think of it all as a way to serve the other, it is a way to show commitment to each other. Of course, my husband and I are still learning how to do this and don't get it right sometimes, but ultimately we are committed to each other's best and to serving each other in humility.

1. ReneeDC1979 profile image61
      ReneeDC1979posted 4 years agoin reply to this

thanks allisonlawrence - This as the best answer because you chose humility along with trust.  I think trust is a key to make a relationship work, but not the only thing.  "Service to each other" I like that -I think that word serve scares people.

6. Efficient Admin profile image94
    Efficient Adminposted 4 years ago

Trust/loyalty.  If you can't trust someone then you really have nothing. Also respecting each other. I know that is 3 traits but to me they are all equally important to make a relationship work in a healthy and loving way.

7. myefforts profile image83
    myeffortsposted 4 years ago

Trust is the basic thing in any relationship.

8. DDE profile image26
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Relationships works best with team work, trust and love plays a huge part in a couple's lives.

9. ReneeDC1979 profile image61
    ReneeDC1979posted 4 years ago

Thank you all for your comments- it looks like trust is a big deal to many -

10. emilynemchick profile image94
    emilynemchickposted 4 years ago

Most people seem to be saying trust - and I absolutely agree! Without trust a relationship will fall apart. I also think that supporting each other is a big part of this - my husband supports me 100% in the choices I make and I support him too. Being able to trust each other means being able to support each other, confide in each other and to feel completely secure. Any relationship needs this to work.

Time spent together is also a key factor and blends in to the trust factor - spending time together means you will get to know each other better and be able to trust in each other.

working