jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

What is the #1 important character trait that is a must in a friend?

1. ccurry profile image69
    ccurryposted 4 years ago

What is the #1 important character trait that is a must in a friend?

I was just wondering everyone's thought on this?

2. shahkar-khan profile image61
    shahkar-khanposted 4 years ago

As they say "A friend in need is a friend indeed". I guess this phrase explains the most important trait that is a must in a friend.

3. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 4 years ago

Psychology has a theory termed trait theory. The characteristic I prefer in a friend is not of those listed trait from that theory. I prefer a 'real' friend have the character trait of forgiving.

4. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Trust is very important in a friend and  is all relationships.

1. teaches12345 profile image93
      teaches12345posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this choice.  Without trust is is impossible to build a relationship.

5. Harishprasad profile image82
    Harishprasadposted 4 years ago

A friend is like our soul divided, the more there is division, the more there are friends and when the division is full, one is friend to all. The # 1 character trait of a friend is his /her smile, when he/ she smiles at us, it speaks all and the whole world knows that we are friends.

6. janshares profile image96
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

I would say it's important for a friend to have a giving nature, i.e., the character trait of generosity. A friend may not always be available 100% of the time, may hurt you or break your trust unintentionally. But knowing that a friend will help you out in time of need when he/she is able is a good enough trait. Taking time to talk, listen, share social time, or offer assistance in an emergency, which may include making a sacrifice, is a character trait, in my opinion, showing genuine friendship.

7. ktnptl profile image85
    ktnptlposted 4 years ago

Friend should be someone whom you can Trust. So Trustworthy is the most important character.

8. dashingscorpio profile image89
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

Honesty is #1
    Without honesty and integrity there can be no trust and therefore no loyalty. No one wants to befriend a liar, untrustworthy, or disloyal person.

9. catgypsy profile image78
    catgypsyposted 4 years ago

Loyalty. A friend should always have your back.

10. Alexander Mark profile image84
    Alexander Markposted 4 years ago

A common understanding about a fundamental belief. As in a religious viewpoint, or a die hard love for Star Trek or just about anything. The main thing is that we agree on a core value and communicate from that perspective. I have a few friends and my relationships with each of them is based on something different in every case. Simply put, the most important character trait is that we agree on a life value (not Star Trek - but for some this works too). After that, loyalty.

As much as I hate the human compulsion to gather in groups, I must admit that that compulsion is manifested in my friendship values. But once I have made that connection, it is highly unlikely you lose me as a friend, no matter what mistakes you make, and I hope that my friends will always forgive me for mine!

working