jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Can love grow and last in arranged marriages?

1. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Can love grow and last in arranged marriages?

Individuals don't know each other in arranged marriages and   are chosen by cultural purposes, religion, to avoid poverty to have ones child and to be that rock in the middle. In the process do couples find the interest of each other and bond easily?

2. elayne001 profile image71
    elayne001posted 4 years ago

My sister-in-law met her husband one week before her wedding. It was arranged by her parents and the parents of the boy. They had made an agreement years before. They now have eight beautiful children and although they did not love and even know each other very long, they have worked together to create a loving relationship. It definitely has not been easy, but has been worth it.

1. DDE profile image24
      DDEposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for taking part in this question   sounds like all has worked out perfectly with hard work.

3. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

To answer your question: "do couples find the interest of each other and bond (easily)?"  I highly doubt being forced to accept someone else's choice for you to spend the rest of your life with is ever (easy).
    It's human nature to want to make your own choices in life. However if we look at arranged marriages in the same way that we do modern day "match making services" there always looms the possibility that someone from the outside finds can find "ideal mate" for a person. In these situations I believe the person most likely would have chosen this mate as well if they had known them.
    You can't manufacture chemistry. It's either there or it's not. As far as lasting. If two people decide they will never ever file for divorce the marriage will last until death do them part. However at what price is one willing to endure? if they're  truly unhappy?, verbal/physical abuse?, infidelity?, and so on. Just because they stayed together until the end would that make their marriage a "successful" one?
    A young woman seeking some profound advice prior to her wedding day once asked her grand-mother what was (the secret) to making her 60 year marriage last. The old woman said:
    "Baby, We just stayed together."
    Staying together may not be the key to "marital bliss" but it is the key to having a long lasting marriage. However is simply being "together" enough for most couples these days?

1. DDE profile image24

Simply being together is not enough for many couple so much more is required of couples to be together  thank you for sharing your answer you made many good points I agree with you.

4. MargaritaEden profile image74
    MargaritaEdenposted 4 years ago

I don't know about bonding easily, but some do eventually fall in love and live happily ever after, I have seen those couples, surprisingly, some of them have better marriages than those who fell in love, and then got married vs. arranged.

1. DDE profile image24

Bonding easily is a problem if the person i snot sure and not happy about the decision but is still prepared to get married. Thank you.

working