jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

First name or last name?

1. jainismus profile image71
    jainismusposted 4 years ago

First name or last name?

While addressing or calling your friends and colleagues , what do you prefer? First name or last name?

2. profile image0
    biochemiposted 4 years ago

While calling my friends or colleagues i preferably use last names, because i find calling people with their last name fancy.

3. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

In our home country Vietnam first names are last names. Really. How cool is that?
    Around here it is a team thing. They do not put first names on the back of jerseys. And it is military, you do not have private Joe.

So if we have an affiliation that has an extra umph we go by last names. My children are all taught to say Mr. and Ms. until told otherwise so a last name goes with that.
    Teachers, ministers, and service people are respected by Mr. and Ms. and the last name until told otherwise.
    So in Vietnam I am called Dr. Eric. But here in the states I am known as "hey you".

4. srsddn profile image92
    srsddnposted 4 years ago

I use both. Traditionally, in office I used to call my colleagues by the last names. However, I would call many of my juniors by first name. While in England I found children calling their fathers by first name.

It varies from place to place. Ericdierker (Dr, Eric) has nicely described the way people are addressed at different places.

1. Ericdierker profile image53
      Ericdierkerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Bless good words. You give some nice honor to people. I think that is what we must strive for in names we use.
      Let us give thanks to the man who gave us this topic, it is well and pleasing to give thought to.

2. srsddn profile image92
      srsddnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Dr. Eric. Jainismus's initiative may reveal more traditional way of addressing people in other parts of the world.

3. Ericdierker profile image53
      Ericdierkerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Our friends like Jainismus bring us good understanding and bring people together. We are the lucky ones no matter what we call each other srsddn.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

My friends I always call by their first name unless they tell me they'd prefer to be called something else. With colleagues, usually we go with first names, but there are exceptions. There are three men named Mike, so everyone calls them by their last names to avoid confusion. At one previous job, we'd call each other by first name unless we were around customers and then we'd use Mr or Mrs and the last name because it sounded more professional for that setting.

6. Kiwi Max profile image68
    Kiwi Maxposted 4 years ago

I prefer their first name.

They prefer this as well but only because my last name is Zvyagintsev

7. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

I use first name and it  sounds more casual which I think is appropriate.

working