jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What if an adolescent falls in love with someone of another religion?

1. thumbi7 profile image65
    thumbi7posted 4 years ago

What if an adolescent falls in love with someone of another religion?

One of my students (a hindu girl) is in love with another student ( a christain boy). Both their parents are against it.

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

I would not worry about it. First of all "adolescent love" rarely leads to marriage and happily ever after. Secondly it's up to the individual to make up their mind if they want to view being a different religion as a "deal breaker".
    Life is a personal journey. Each of us gets to choice our own friends, lovers, and spouse.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

I think it was Richard Dawkins who said there is no such thing as a Christian child or a Muslim child, there are just children. While you're referring to adolescents, I feel the same applies. At that age, kids aren't really in a position to assign themselves deep philosophical beliefs. Not because they are unintelligent, but because they're still growing and learning. Honestly, the parents who are against it should feel ashamed. Let the children be who they want to be and love who they want to love.

4. Cre8tor profile image96
    Cre8torposted 4 years ago

Well, first off, it wouldn't be the first inter-religious couple ever. It happens.

What if? I personally don't think much on it. They're young and obviously not basing their relationship on religion which means neither are as deeply rooted in their religion as the parents want them to be if they are against it. Should the parents interfere too heavily, they will likely end up the bad guys whereas if they let it take it's course, it will likely end on its own. If not, then perhaps the parents need to reconsider their stance on what love is made from.

With my children, I'm much more concerned with their happiness, treatment and wisdom they use while in "young love".

5. Dr Pran Rangan profile image89
    Dr Pran Ranganposted 4 years ago

A very pertinent question relating to inter-religious marraiges  especially in India. It is true that love knows no man made boundary of religion. There are so many examples of successful inter-religious marriages as long as the partners continue to love each other in all circumstances in spite of opposition from their family and community. But the infatuation for the other should not be mistaken for true love because the infatuation will wear off after a period of time whereas true love will only sustain such a marriage to success.

working