What are some common (false) assumptions people make about you/your personality?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)
  1. NornsMercy profile image60
    NornsMercyposted 10 years ago

What are some common (false) assumptions people make about you/your personality?

2. MsDora profile image92
    MsDoraposted 10 years ago

People assume that because I always give encouragement, I do not need to be encouraged.  False!

They also assume that because I am not very vocal, I will allow them to walk over me.  Also false!

NornsMercyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My mother is the same way about being vocal. She's like a mouse with a lion's bite. smile

2. Everyday Miracles profile image85
      Everyday Miraclesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't need to reply because, simply, I am right there with MsDora. This is a feeling I have all the time. :-/

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

I'm not sure if this fits into what you're asking. Some people tell me I intimidate them even if I've never spoken to them. I'm only 5'6" and weight 110 pounds, but they say I carry myself in such a way it tells people "don't mess with me or I'll stomp all over you". I don't see it, yet they do and it bothers me. I consider myself one of the friendliest people in the world and I wish that was other people's first impression.

This does fit what I'm asking. It actually happens to me, too, and I'm built like you are. ;p I don't get it! I guess I just look "mean" or something. I know exactly how you feel. Seriously.

4. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

chace......This is rather easy for me to answer because the same false assumption has followed me throughout my life.

People, in general (who do not know me extremely well).....believe that I am highly "Sociable."   I can understand this, but it cannot be further from the actual truth.

Yes, I am friendly, talkative and enjoy laughing with others.  I am happy and wear a genuine smile 90% of the time and will go the distance to help someone.
    However, the truth is I'm pretty much a loner/recluse.  I prefer peace, quiet and solitude more often than not.   If I do seek companionship, I am happiest with one or two good friends as opposed to crowds with lots of noise and hoopla.

Basically, this does not qualify me as "Sociable," in the way people may think.......    Very interesting question.

People think introverts are people who don't like being social, but that's not true at all. Introverts are just people who need to recharge their batteries after social interaction (extroverts gain energy from socializing). I'm the same way. smile

5. mgeorge1050 profile image82
    mgeorge1050posted 10 years ago

I have a big beard and don't talk much when I meet new people.  Many folks assume I am mean or grumpy for some reason, but I am really just shy.

I wonder why. For some reason I get a really warm feeling from folks with beards. big_smile

6. Alphadogg16 profile image80
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

People often misconstrue my personality, I'm a very straight forward, blunt and to the point kind of person, as an attitude. My personality is me, the way I am, my attitude will really be dependent upon who you are.

I love straightforward people. They're always called "mean", though, but that's not even true. They just don't like all the fake BS and masks. smile

7. Snøwman profile image58
    Snøwmanposted 10 years ago

People always say I look sad or tired even when I'm really happy and energetic.

I've learned from this that people shouldn't assume things because most of them are wrong, lol. I hate when people say, "You look sad..." and you feel great. tongue

8. DDE profile image44
    DDEposted 10 years ago

People think I am not smart enough or that I don't know but fail to give me a chance to prove myself.

9. profile image51
    fenkellmanposted 10 years ago

I am an observer of people. This is a question that I have researched and observed for years. Time and Time again I would observe a behavioral pattern in situations that had me walk away and ask the question "What exactly do people assumed about me." I have found that we all are guilty of assuming something about the next person, that is not a reflection of that person at all. There are a couple misconceptions about me I have found to be consistent over the years, more than all others.

One common misconception is that I am not good enough.  For some reason many underestimate my abilities. I am expected to be below average, or less than. It is not expected for me to perform above and beyond the next person. I have seen where it has truly bothered a person that I was better than them at what we were doing.

Another misconception that people make is that it's okay for me to accept what they would never find acceptable.  I'm supposed to accept circumstances, situations, and treatment that would otherwise be unacceptable to them. I get ask the advice in the world on how I should accept what they themselves would never accept.

Another example is that I am young , ignorant, and naive. People second guess how intelligent and wise I really am.  Along with doubting my abilities many perceive me as being less educated, less streetwise than the next person. Many situations where the doubt of my abilities along with my intelligence, had people convey their disbelief in my ability to survive a situation. I love to see the expression on their faces when their thoughts are prove to be wrong. In fact the situations that I have survived, in many cases,  would make those who doubted me, lose self control. It has been found I have thrived with circumstances that would make weaker individuals crumble, make rash decisions, and stress out. I truly know what it is to keep your head and patience in the most stressful times of my life. When people see me come out the ashes, it's like seeing a ghost.

There are many other situations where false assumptions are made,  too many to list.  I just gave you some of the most consistent assumptions. We are all guilty of this to some degree. With myself I try to keep some particular scenarios fresh in my head so that I don't fall victim to doing the same thing. We find that in all the technology and advancements, it still comes back to the wise words of our elders, "You can't judge a book by its cover".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)